SSD Upgrade > TBI Defrag..?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
yoyo

SSD Upgrade > TBI Defrag..?

Post by yoyo »

I'm planning to do an upgrade of my SSD's that where placed in RAID 0 and I was wondering if I could defrag the image before placing the image to the new drives.

I have used the SSD's for one year and this OS is fragmented. For an SSD this isn't a big problem, but I thought that it would be nice to have a defragment before placing it on the upgrade drives.
I was thinking of moving/copying the OS partitions to an other HDD, doing the defrag overthere and then moving/copying the OS partitions to the new SSD RAID 0 setup. But I was wondering...

Are the TBI files as fragmented as the original? I guess they are because otherwise you wouldn't need the 'compact' option in BIBM.
Is it possible to defrag the TBI files..?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: SSD Upgrade > TBI Defrag..?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You can't defrag the contents of a TBI file, except by restoring and defragging (as you suggest). However, I don't think there's any point if you're going to be placing it back onto a SSD. I suspect any gains from reducing the file system fragmentation would be lost after a short period of time of normal use. On the other hand, if you want to do the extra steps it's not going to hurt anything.
yoyo

Post by yoyo »

Can I mount the TBI image in TBIMount and then defrag?

I did one defrag on a mounted TBI image and it seems to work... a little.
But I haven't restored it to a partition yet to test if the image was destroyed or was working okay.
Eric

Post by Eric »

No, you can't defrag a TBI file.
However, you can restore it, then defrag the partition being restored, then backup into a new file.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sun, 26 May 2013 07:01:46 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Eric disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>No, you can't defrag a TBI file.

You can if it is fragmented. It's the contents that cannot be.
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.