5 Windows installs in 2 Primary Partitions and 3 Volumes

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
SimsmartTechnologies

5 Windows installs in 2 Primary Partitions and 3 Volumes

Post by SimsmartTechnologies »

Hello,

I'll try to make my story not too long, please bear with me :)

I have the following partition setup (A,B,C,D being names to differentiate them):

Partition 1, Primary: BIBM (with Limit Primaries)
Partition 2, Primary: Windows XP
Partition 3, Primary: Windows 7 (A)
Partition 4, Extended
Partition 4.1, Volume: Windows 7 (B)
Partition 4.2, Volume: Windows 7 (C)
Partition 4.3, Volume: Windows 7 (D)

I have successfully installed BIBM, Windows XP and Windows 7 (A) without much of a problem.

I imaged Windows 7 (A) with Acronis True Image to put it on B,C and D.

I first recovered the image onto (B) and it went fine.

Although, after putting the image on (B), I was not able to boot it at first. It seem to have something to do with bootmgr or something like that. I am not an expert in MBR or Boot Managers, but I seemed to have recognized this problem.

Basically I get the Windows 7 logo, and it hangs there forever. So I booted on the Windows 7 Repair Disc while having the partition (B) as the only Unhidden one. The disc "repaired" what I think is bootmgr.

After this, when I selected (B) from my menu in BIBM, I was brought to the Windows 7 "boot manager" menu, with 2 choices, both being called "Windows 7 (recovery)".

If I select (B) in BIBM and then the first choice in the W7 boot manager, I get the same Windows 7 logo hang screen. Although, if I select (B) in BIBM and then the second choice in W7 boot manager, I can get into the Windows 7 (B). Same pattern for (A), if I select it in BIBM, but then choose the FIRST choice in W7 boot manager, I can get into Windows as well.

Now my problem lies in the fact that I don't need the W7 boot manager, and I want it to directly boot into Windows for each partition. But if I configure the "bootmgr" with lets say a timeout of 1 second and automatic choice, it seem to affect both (A) and (B) at the same time, so I cant get it correctly because both options in W7 boot manager end up booting (A). I thought this was caused maybe by "bootmgr" not existing in the C: partition of (B), but even after copying both C:\Boot and C:\bootmgr to (B) from (A), they still don't seem to be independent. I also followed the settings for BCD Edit here (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=492), but It didnt help, I keep hanging at the Windows 7 logo.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the partition being logical (volume).

Any help would be appreciated, or any pointers on what I'm doing wrong and what I should do.
mjnelson99

Re: 5 Windows installs in 2 Primary Partitions and 3 Volumes

Post by mjnelson99 »

It sounds like Windows is seeing more than the one partition
you want it to find.

That is why you are getting the dual-boot Windows screen.

Look at your BIBM settings again.
Mary

On 10/24/2012 2:26 PM, SimsmartTechnologies wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'll try to make my story not too long, please bear with me
>
> ![:)]({SMILIES_PATH}/icon_e_smile.gif)
>
> I have the following partition setup (A,B,C,D being names to differentiate them):
>
> Partition 1, Primary: BIBM (with Limit Primaries)
> Partition 2, Primary: Windows XP
> Partition 3, Primary: Windows 7 (A)
> Partition 4, Extended
> Partition 4.1, Volume: Windows 7 (B)
> Partition 4.2, Volume: Windows 7 (C)
> Partition 4.3, Volume: Windows 7 (D)
>
> I have successfully installed BIBM, Windows XP and Windows 7 (A) without much of a problem.
>
> I imaged Windows 7 (A) with Acronis True Image to put it on B,C and D.
>
> I first recovered the image onto (B) and it went fine.
>
> Although, after putting the image on (B), I was not able to boot it at first. It seem to have something to do with bootmgr or something like that. I am not an expert in MBR or Boot Managers, but I seemed to have recognized this problem.
>
> Basically I get the Windows 7 logo, and it hangs there forever. So I booted on the Windows 7 Repair Disc while having the partition (B) as the only Unhidden one. The disc "repaired" what I think is bootmgr.
>
> After this, when I selected (B) from my menu in BIBM, I was brought to the Windows 7 "boot manager" menu, with 2 choices, both being called "Windows 7 (recovery)".
>
> If I select (B) in BIBM and then the first choice in the W7 boot manager, I get the same Windows 7 logo hang screen. Although, if I select (B) in BIBM and then the second choice in W7 boot manager, I can get into the Windows 7 (B). Same pattern for (A), if I select it in BIBM, but then choose the FIRST choice in W7 boot manager, I can get into Windows as well.
>
> Now my problem lies in the fact that I don't need the W7 boot manager, and I want it to directly boot into Windows for each partition. But if I configure the "bootmgr" with lets say a timeout of 1 second and automatic choice, it seem to affect both (A) and (B) at the same time, so I cant get it correctly because both options in W7 boot manager end up booting (A). I thought this was caused maybe by "bootmgr" not existing in the C: partition of (B), but even after copying both C:\Boot and C:\bootmgr to (B) from (A), they still don't seem to be independent. I also followed the settings for BCD Edit here (
>
> [
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=492
> ](http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=492)
>
> ), but It didnt help, I keep hanging at the Windows 7 logo.
>
> I'm wondering if this has something to do with the partition being logical (volume).
>
> Any help would be appreciated, or any pointers on what I'm doing wrong and what I should do.
>
>
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Forgot you said logical partition. That is definitely related.

You may need all on primary partitions to do what you want.
Mary

On 10/24/2012 3:40 PM, mjnelson99 wrote:
> It sounds like Windows is seeing more than the one partition
> you want it to find.
>
> That is why you are getting the dual-boot Windows screen.
>
> Look at your BIBM settings again.
> Mary
>
> On 10/24/2012 2:26 PM, SimsmartTechnologies wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'll try to make my story not too long, please bear with me
>>
>> ![:)]({SMILIES_PATH}/icon_e_smile.gif)
>>
>> I have the following partition setup (A,B,C,D being names to differentiate them):
>>
>> Partition 1, Primary: BIBM (with Limit Primaries)
>> Partition 2, Primary: Windows XP
>> Partition 3, Primary: Windows 7 (A)
>> Partition 4, Extended
>> Partition 4.1, Volume: Windows 7 (B)
>> Partition 4.2, Volume: Windows 7 (C)
>> Partition 4.3, Volume: Windows 7 (D)
>>
>> I have successfully installed BIBM, Windows XP and Windows 7 (A) without much of a problem.
>>
>> I imaged Windows 7 (A) with Acronis True Image to put it on B,C and D.
>>
>> I first recovered the image onto (B) and it went fine.
>>
>> Although, after putting the image on (B), I was not able to boot it at first. It seem to have something to do with bootmgr or something like that. I am not an expert in MBR or Boot Managers, but I seemed to have recognized this problem.
>>
>> Basically I get the Windows 7 logo, and it hangs there forever. So I booted on the Windows 7 Repair Disc while having the partition (B) as the only Unhidden one. The disc "repaired" what I think is bootmgr.
>>
>> After this, when I selected (B) from my menu in BIBM, I was brought to the Windows 7 "boot manager" menu, with 2 choices, both being called "Windows 7 (recovery)".
>>
>> If I select (B) in BIBM and then the first choice in the W7 boot manager,

I get the same Windows 7 logo hang screen. Although, if I
select (B) in BIBM and then the second choice in W7 boot
manager, I can get into the Windows 7 (B). Same pattern for
(A), if I select it in BIBM, but then choose the FIRST
choice in W7 boot manager, I can get into Windows as well.
>>
>> Now my problem lies in the fact that I don't need the W7 boot manager, and I want it to directly boot into Windows for each partition. But if I configure the "bootmgr" with lets say a timeout of 1 second and automatic choice, it seem to affect both (A) and (B) at the same time, so I cant get it correctly because both options in W7 boot manager end up booting (A). I thought this was caused maybe by "bootmgr" not existing in the C: partition of (B), but even after copying both C:\Boot and C:\bootmgr to (B) from (A), they still don't seem to be independent. I also followed the settings for BCD Edit here (
>>
>> [
>> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=492
>> ](http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=492)
>>
>> ), but It didnt help, I keep hanging at the Windows 7 logo.
>>
>> I'm wondering if this has something to do with the partition being logical (volume).
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated, or any pointers on what I'm doing wrong and what I should do.
>>
>>
>
>
SimsmartTechnologies

What should I look for in the BIBM settings?

mjnelson99 wrote:
> Forgot you said logical partition. That is definitely related.
>
> You may need all on primary partitions to do what you want.
> Mary

Yes I thought so too, but since I need 5 Windows installs, there is still one that will have to be on a Logical partition (that's not even counting BIBM which needs one too I guess).

I guess the "infinite primaries" or whatever it's called might have worked it my case, but I was worried by the fact that I wouldn't be able to use any partition manager except BIBM's.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

SimsmartTechnologies,

As a test I copied my Win7 into an extended partition and I saw the same error you saw. The four glowing squares persisted indefinitely.

I suggest you have your OS in primary partitions. Enable Unlimited Primaries as it makes multi-booting so easy. Forget about using other partition managers as you already have the best.
SimsmartTechnologies

It does make sense... and I'm also starting to lose my mind trying to troubleshoot this.

To do this from my situation, do I need to reinstall BIBM? And then "convert" the partitions to Primaries with "Work with partitions" ?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

You don't need to reinstall BIBM. Just remove the tick from "Limit Primaries".

BIBM doesn't have a Convert logical partitions to Primaries function. As your logical volumes are suspect I'd delete the extended partition and copy (using BIBM or IFD) Win7 into unallocated space.
Panagiotis

Post by Panagiotis »

The problem is in the bcd entries of each parition (it conflicts because you used imaging to create the other 7 systems).

You must correct the bcd in each partition with bibm,
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=492
or you can let windows repair your boot configuration (but don't hide the partitions except the xp one) so that you'll have 4 windows entries in the loader.
Then you copy the boot files from the first partition to the other 3 and use bibm to delete the extra entries from the bcd of each partition. The guide below explains how to do it for 2 partitions
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=392
SimsmartTechnologies

This is precisely what I did, but even after doing all the steps and having fixed all the BCDs, everytime I would choose a Windows that is in the Extended partition, it would still use the BCD from the one in the primary partition, and ignore the BCD that I selected. This is what I couldn't figure out. And even inside Windows, the BCD would "not exist" and did not show in the utilities like msconfig, or third party apps that edit this.

Panagiotis wrote:
> The problem is in the bcd entries of each parition (it conflicts because
> you used imaging to create the other 7 systems).
>
> You must correct the bcd in each partition with bibm,
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=492
> or you can let windows repair your boot configuration (but don't hide the
> partitions except the xp one) so that you'll have 4 windows entries in the
> loader.
> Then you copy the boot files from the first partition to the other 3 and
> use bibm to delete the extra entries from the bcd of each partition. The
> guide below explains how to do it for 2 partitions
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=392
SimsmartTechnologies

OK, so I removed the "limit primaries", and destroyed the Extended Partition and all the volumes.

I recreated the partitions with "work with partitions" as Primaries.

Now when I restored an image onto one of the "new" empty partitions, instead of using the partition to put the data in, it added an extra partition in the spot where I selected the destination.

To be more clear, here is what happened, I had this:

Partition 1: BIBM
Partition 2: Windows XP
Partition 3: Windows 7 (A)
Partition 4: Windows 7 (B) (Empty)
Partition 5: Windows 7 (C) (Empty)
Partition 6: Windows 7 (D) (Empty)

I restored my Acronis image into Partition 4. And now it gave me this:

Partition 1: BIBM
Partition 2: Windows XP
Partition 3: Windows 7 (A)
Partition X: Windows 7 (Image ended up here)
Partition 4: Windows 7 (B) (Empty)
Partition 5: Windows 7 (C) (Empty)
Partition 6: Windows 7 (D) (Empty)

So instead of using the space of Partition 4, it kinda added its own. But now I end up with an "*Errors Exists*" message, with an "E" next to Partition 3 and Partition X (I don't know if it's related, but Partition 3 was the source of the image).

I'm guessing now that Partition 4 is invalid, but I don't know what I should do...

Do I delete Partition 4? Is there an option to fix this issue?

Thanks for helping guys

Brian K wrote:
> You don't need to reinstall BIBM. Just remove the tick from "Limit
> Primaries".
>
> BIBM doesn't have a Convert logical partitions to Primaries function. As
> your logical volumes are suspect I'd delete the extended partition and copy
> (using BIBM or IFD) Win7 into unallocated space.