New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Post by Brian K »

Out of interest, what size are your images? You mentioned up to 90 minutes for image creation with Validate.
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Post by ohaya1000 »

Brian K wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 9:36 pm Jim. you can use IFW, IFL or BIU to restore your images. Definitely.

You can create your images in that protected folder or in any other folder of your choice.
Hi Brian,

Ok, thanks!

Jim
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Post by Brian K »

If you want to manually delete images in the protected folder, you can use this cmd script. Run as Administrator.

Code: Select all

if not defined RunTask set RunTask=1 & start "protectit" /min %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /c "%0" & goto :EOF
net stop protectit
timeout /t 120
net start protectit
You can delete images from the IFW GUI too.
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Post by ohaya1000 »

Brian K wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 9:40 pm Out of interest, what size are your images? You mentioned up to 90 minutes for image creation with Validate.
The drive is a 1TB SSD. I used to have both a Win10 Pro and a Win11 Pro partition (which I think you helped me get installed a while ago), but I recently deleted the Win10 Pro partition and boot item.

So the main partition (with Windows 11 Pro) is about 402GB, plus some other smaller partitions (e.g., recovery, etc.

The entire disk image file is ~200GB.

Thanks,
Jim
Bob Coleman
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Post by Bob Coleman »

ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:35 pm
P.S. You suggested re-install - but do I need to UN install first, before I RE-install? Or do I JUST do a re-install?
I think this happened to me once and I think I just did a Reinstall and I think that got rid of the directory, but it's been a while.

When you install the suite, under Select Components, there is definitely an option to include or not include ProtectIt.
Bob Coleman
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 9:36 pm Jim. you can use IFW, IFL or BIU to restore your images. Definitely.
And IFL will be much faster than BIU.
Bob Coleman
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Post by Bob Coleman »

ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:24 pm


I just found the IFW manual on the TBU website, ...
The manual is also installed with the suite (IFW-User's Guide in the Start Menu).
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Post by ohaya1000 »

Bob Coleman wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2026 3:50 pm
Brian K wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 9:36 pm Jim. you can use IFW, IFL or BIU to restore your images. Definitely.
And IFL will be much faster than BIU.
Bob and Brian,

I think that what I was thinking about is that I already have BIU on the machine, so if I ever got into a situation where I need/want to do an entire disk restore of an image (a .biu file), I don't want to have to go look for boot media (e.g., a USB stick) that has IFL on it that I can boot the machine in order to do the restore.

Instead I can just reboot to BIU and use the image app that comes with BIU and then do the image restore.

Or maybe I am misunderstanding what I need to run IFL?

Thanks,
Jim
Bob Coleman
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Post by Bob Coleman »

That's mostly true if you don't want to look for the IFL boot media to get a faster restore.

It's possible to copy IFL from the boot media to a partition on the HD/SSD, create a BIU boot item for it and run it from there.

I have it set up that way, but unfortunately I don't remember enough about how I set up the boot item to tell you how to do it.

It's a minor convenience, but for me booting the IFL USB stick wouldn't be a major inconvenience.

I'm actually remembering the speed of IFL vs that of IFD in BIBM. I'm guessing the same is true of IFL vs IFU in BIU, but I guess I don't actually know that.
Post Reply