Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal, BootIt UEFI and PartWork for Windows
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Brian K »

That's correct. Don't restore any images made before the BIU copy.
Friendly
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Friendly »

Thanks a lot for the confirmation. I can’t seem to stay away from this forum, but I really need to get ready :lol:
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Brian K »

No hurry. Do this when you have time.
Friendly
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Friendly »

Hey Brian,

I’m in Calgary and had some free time, so I tested my son’s system. It’s an older PC, but I wanted to rule out my own system as the cause of the compatibility issue or figure out why it works on yours but not mine.
The results were the same, during resizing, the image gets damaged, so I’m seeing the same problem here.
Would be nice, if Terabyte look into this, as something with the resizing engine doesn’t seem right.

I don’t have much time here, but I’ll try to respond as quickly as I can.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Brian K »

Friendly, that's a concerning finding. Do you restart the computer after resizing the partition or do you resize and then immediately start the BIU copy? I restart prior to the copy.

I'll try a copy without a restart.
Friendly
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Friendly »

Actually, I didn’t restart...hmmm, could that be the problem? now I’m wondering. I’ll try again with a restart later, but could you do me a favor?
If yours works as it should and you resize your OS partition as well, could you take one screenshot of your whole primary drive with all partitions before resizing, and after resizing, then another of the destination drive with all partitions after you copy to it.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Brian K »

I can't do the test I suggested. After resizing, I clicked Partition Work to do the BIU copy. I immediately see "Unable to open BOOTIT.DAT". I now recall I always see this message after a resize if I try to do something in BIU. So I always have to restart. Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
Last edited by Brian K on Tue Mar 24, 2026 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friendly
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Friendly »

Ahh... that's exactly what I usually get "Unable to open BOOTIT.DAT." Could this be the culprit behind the problem? In my case, I see that message right after resizing finishes on the primary drive.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Brian K »

Support (PP) posted a link to this issue but the cure is worse than the disease, for me.
Friendly
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Friendly »

So, what are you suggesting. Where do you think the issue might be? Is this a BootIt problem, a Windows issue, or something with the procedure.
I’m completely lost now.

I don’t want to waste endless time trying to make this work. If there’s an underlying issue beyond my control, we know it works without resizing, but resizing is essential and isn’t working right now at least for me :(
Post Reply