Trim on IFW 4.01

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
n8chavez

Trim on IFW 4.01

Post by n8chavez »

Here's something odd, every time I restore an image IFW turns trim off on my SSD. I've verified it was off, toggled it on, created a full system image, rebooted into eufi and/or RE, restored that full image then rebooted again. Each and every time trim is turned off again. I use the /nt switch when creating images and restoring them. (It's supposed to turn trim off only when creating or restoring, then turn it back on.) But I've have the same issue without /nt or untrim=1. Every time trim is turned off. Maybe the problem is in my config?
[Options]
SeqVolID=1
SaveUEFIData=1
TextTree=0x1
ShowTBWinPE=1
GlobalGeoOrgGeo=1
GlobalGeoMBRGeo=1
GlobalGeoAlign2K=1

[PHYLock_Options]
UseVSS=1
PHYLockDisable=1
PHYLockMemory=0

[RESTORE_DEFAULTS]
UseOrgHDNum=1
Reboot=4
WriteChangedSecsOnly=1
WriteMBR=1

[LICENSE]
ProductKey=
User=
KeyVer=4

[BACKUP_DEFAULTS]
SaveLog=0
UseMetaData=1
CreateHash=1
Encryption=3
Compression=12
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
TeraByte Support

Re: Trim on IFW 4.01

Post by TeraByte Support »

because it's disabled when backed up ....
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

TeraByte Support wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:52 pm because it's disabled when backed up ....
Right. But isn't trim supposed to be re-enabled after the image is created. Page 60 of the manual pretty much says this. " If IFW
completes the operation, even with errors reported, TRIM will be properly reset to the enabled state." But that's not the case.
TeraByte Support

it's enabled after the backup is created .. but it was enabled in the backup, in any case, the next version has it moved to disable after phylock/vss started, so it won't be enabled in the restored version (unless someone chose to backup the in-use windows partition without any locking).
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

I'm guess I'm confused. If, as you say, trim is enabled again after the backup is created, wouldn't trim still be enabled after reboot? It's not. Clearly it's being disabled as it's supposed to be. It's just not being re-enabled after the image is created, because if it were it would still be enabled after reboot.

It seems like a very bad idea to not have trim enabled after image creation/restore.
TeraByte Support

The option isn't allowed/used on a restore. It's enabled after the backup is completed, but restoring the image would have it disabled.
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

Again, I'm confused. The ifw.ini has an string for this.

[RESTORE_DEFAULTS]
Trim=1
UseMetaData=1
SaveLog=0
UseOrgHDNum=1
Reboot=4
WriteChangedSecsOnly=1
WriteMBR=1

If what you're saying is true, why is there a Trim=1 option located under "Restore_Defaults" if trim is not enabled after restore? Also, why that option is not used on restores that means two things: 1. The manual I quoted from is lying when it says TRIM will be properly reset to the enabled state and 2. That TRIM is always deactivated after every restore and no one has any clue. That's very very bad. There very clearly is a untrim/trim option under restore, so that's where my confusion is from.
Screenshot 2024-07-05 173308.png
Screenshot 2024-07-05 173308.png (86.66 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
TeraByte Support

/trim (trim=) and /nt (notrim) are completely different options. The restore/copy /trim option trims the target areas before restore. The backup/copy /nt turns off the trim option in the running Windows during the backup and then turn it back on after. The restored backup would still have trim disabled in Windows because it was disabled before backing up. Next version moves it to turn off after phylock/vss has its lock so that if the backup was of the running windows, the restored image wouldn't have it still disabled.
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

I think I understand. It's a little confusing given the wording of the options and manual. Right now, trim is not re-enabled after a restore but is turned off for creating an image. Is that correct? I should, but currently does not. If that's true then running "fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0" in a script autorun at login should also enable it.

Maybe change the wording to something other than "trim" if the trim function is not going to be used.

Any idea when the version that fixes this issue will be out?