Legacy tbiview does not run under 4.01

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
JSladek

Legacy tbiview does not run under 4.01

Post by JSladek »

I am running under PCLinuxOS using a 12 year old non-efi motherboard. Early last year, I had to switch to the legacy version of TBIView for Windows. This has been going fine until IFL 4.01 came out and TBIView fails to work. I don't know if it was the same problem with IFL 4.0 - I may not have required an access to a specific file in an image, so I suspect it would've been the same problem.

Backup and restore with IFL is no problem, it's simply access to an specific file. I tried to install a copy of TBIView for Linux, but it doesn't run becasue apparently libncursesw.so.6 doesn't exist ..... a similar error that I had previously that required I go to the legacy version of TBIView. No matter, because my preference has always been TBIView for WIndows.

Okay - where do I go from here. Is there going to be a legacy version for Image 4.0+? I do have a need to occasionally extraxt extract specific files from images.
TeraByte Support

Re: Legacy tbiview does not run under 4.01

Post by TeraByte Support »

For Linux version see the CUI items at https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... ributions/

I presume you mean the .tbi file won't open in legacy version, you'd have to save the images using the /bcl option at 364
JSladek

Post by JSladek »

It looks like you are telling me that unless I can get libncursesw6 installed, my backup files are no good for extracting single files or at worst drive restoration.
TeraByte Support

No, I'm saying if you want to run the Linux version on a 64 bit distribution you'll need to install the 32bit libraries required for CUI per that article (you can run it from the IFL boot disk or a 32 bit distro that has the v16 png and v6 ncurses). And, if you want to use the legacy version for some old Windows version, you'll need to save the images in the old format by using the /bcl option at 364 (or lower), see manual for details.
JSladek

Post by JSladek »

Okay - I was trying to resolve two problems at the same time.

The imminent problem is that there is a file on a backup created with 4.01 that I need to restore or at least extract a copy (original data file got currupted). Now that I think about it, I can restore that image to a different unused partition or. as you suggested, run the new tbiview version from a boot disk.

The second problem is how to rearrange everything for future backup & restorations. In other words, working at the v4.x.x level. The answer there appears to be generating backups using the /bcl option if I can't get libncursesw6 installed in my OS.

One is a short term issue and the other is long term.

Thanks - while not specifically fixed at this point, I see the light at the end of the tunnel and can consider this issue closed.
JSladek

Post by JSladek »

Case closed.

I was able to extract the files I needed from the earlier backup by "restoring" it to a spare partition and then getting the data I needed. The first problem was resolved.

I tested creating a backup using the /bcl option and it worked okay - created a backup with the ver 4.01 software and I was able to read it with the last legacy TBIVew for Windows. As I mentioned previously, I much prefer the old Windows version to the Linux version. Now to go back and adjust my script files accordingly and create new backups.

Comments/questions:

Why are we still using 32bit systems and having to adapt them to 64bit systems? We should at least have the option of getting total 64bit packages.

Even more puzzling is why mandate libncursesw6 when, from what I have seen, it's not readily available in the 32bit form - unless, of course, you have a 32bit system.

It's been suggested to "download the source code and compile it for 64-bit" - I think the answer for that is obvious.

I'm beginning to think that going to IFL 4.0 was not necessary and not worth the effort. But, I've done it and that's that.
TeraByte Support

the short and long of it is that it's 32bit mainly because they decided to make long type 64bits where as microsoft remained 32bit because the LONG type was so widely used. Now they have come out with a c/cpp lib that uses 32bit longs but you'd have to again find and install that one (maybe we will use it someday, it's low priority). the move from ncurses5 to 6 is because the 5 version is getting hard to find in new distros.
JSladek

Post by JSladek »

Yes, I can see that it is a bit of a juggling match to meet all of the needs.

Well, I give up. I changed everything over to using 4.01 and generated my backups. None of them were readable with the legacy TBIView. So I have switched back to legacy IFL and staying with the legacy TBIView. As I think about it this morning, I may have inadvertently used the wrong version number with the bcl switch. But, no matter - I'm not going down that road again. I have an old system and IFL 3.** has served me well, so I'll stay with it at least until I change hardware.