CopyWipe still relevant for wiping?

User discussion forum for items related to technology in general.
T-Rhex

CopyWipe still relevant for wiping?

Post by T-Rhex »

Hi, I know it's no longer officially supported, but I've still been using the old CopyWipe 1.14 to securely wipe drives, and I assume it's doing its job. Any reason *not* to keep using it? Looking at a sector map after it's done reveals everything's been zeroed out, but could I be missing anything? Like, would there be areas of newer drives that it wouldn't be able to access? What would its limit be? (I haven't yet tried it on 2TB or larger.) Or would it just not be able to detect the newest drives? (Luckily, I'm usually wiping older drives :D ) I've also used in on SSDs to good effect and assume it's wiping properly.

Just wondering if anyone has comments on this outdated (but seemingly reliable) software, and if anyone else still uses it or has found a comparable replacement.

Thanks!
TeraByte Support

Re: CopyWipe still relevant for wiping?

Post by TeraByte Support »

it still works, handles HPA if BIOS direct vs others that don't but HPA is pretty much dead, but the wiping is now part of partwork / bootit - including partwork on the IFL GUI boot disk. Hardware wiping options are mainly used.
T-Rhex

Re: CopyWipe still relevant for wiping?

Post by T-Rhex »

Thanks. Is it a function I can use specifically in partwork / bootit, or do you mean that it's part of a larger process? I've always used IFL CUI, so I'll have to give the GUI a try. And, not sure what you mean by hardware wiping options?

EDIT: Also, is it necessary/useful to wipe the HPA? It doesn't sound like there would be any user data there, only drive information. (Or, I missed your point!)