How to tell if VSS is working when backing up running Hyper-V VMs?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
crawfish

How to tell if VSS is working when backing up running Hyper-V VMs?

Post by crawfish »

I have a Windows 11 Pro VM running on Windows 11 Pro host. I use VSS in IFW on the host to back up the partition containing the VMs. I've read that Hyper-V is VSS aware, and my setup meets all the requirements listed here for "Child VM Snapshot":

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previ ... l-machines

However, I can't find any events in Event Viewer in either the host or the VM to indicate VSS is working inside the VM, nor does running all the vssadmin informational commands tell me anything. I temporarily disabled the VSS Integration Service for the VM and verified inside the VM that the provider "'Hyper-V IC Software Shadow Copy Provider" had indeed disappeared and the corresponding service wasn't running after I started an IFW backup in the host, but the backup completed exactly the same as when the Integration Service is enabled. Is there any way to tell if VSS is working as advertised?
TeraByte Support

Re: How to tell if VSS is working when backing up running Hyper-V VMs?

Post by TeraByte Support »

validate byte-for-byte.
crawfish

Re: How to tell if VSS is working when backing up running Hyper-V VMs?

Post by crawfish »

Will that tell me if Hyper-V communicated with the VM's VSS to get the programs running within the VM into a consistent state, such that VSS running in the host records that state for the IFW backup?