Winre Partition Work option?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
tas3086

Winre Partition Work option?

Post by tas3086 »

Is there something like BIBM's Partition Work that I can use or put into the Image For Windows Winre build as part of the Windows Recovery Enviroment boot? .... some runable .tbs file or selectable option.
Thanks in advance

PS: Creating a winre build with OPTION 1, will put Image for windows into the native windows recovery environment.
This makes it extremely easy to get into a safe Image For Windows recovery environment by using the following windows command:
c:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe /f /r /o /t 1 (pasted into a windows shortcut or in a CMD prompt:)

After booting, select troubleshoot and Image For Windows. Be warned that Drive letters change in the recovery environment so be careful.
If anyone knows how to have them match the original operating values, please post a reply here.
Brian K

Re: Winre Partition Work option?

Post by Brian K »

You should like TeraByte Explorer 3.26 / Partition Manager. It's in the Scripts menu.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

tas3086 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:11 am After booting, select troubleshoot and Image For Windows. Be warned that Drive letters change in the recovery environment so be careful.
If anyone knows how to have them match the original operating values, please post a reply here.
For matching drive letters, there are a couple ways to do it. Note that some drive types may not match letters, but usually the normal types do.

Method 1: Setting after booting to WinRE
1. Open TBLauncher.
2. Select the "Tools | Drive Letter Assignments..." menu item.
3. In the Drive Letters dialog, enable the "Allow matching Windows drive letters" option.
4. Right-click on the Windows partition and select the "Use Installed Windows Drive Letters" option.

Method 2: Use Builder's BootWIM feature (instead of shutdown.exe) to automatically match on startup
This can be run directly from the command line or you could create a .cmd file to run it
(usually the best way since the command line is rather long). For example:

Code: Select all

tbwinpe.exe /bootwim "\\?\Volume{1d378c76-af3e-4294-800c-1268710e1932}\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim" /mdl
(If necessary, specify the full path to TBWinPE.exe. For example: "c:\tbwinre\tbwinpe.exe")

If you don't know the full path to the WinRE WIM you can find it in Builder's log:

2024-03-22 23:31:50 - WinRE located (Winre.wim, active): \\?\Volume{1d378c76-af3e-4294-800c-1268710e1932}\Recovery\WindowsRE (0,0,0x1F,0x7F,0xF) (0x0)
If you have a different TBWinRE WIM to boot you could specify that instead (doesn't have to be the installed WinRE). I'm using the installed WinRE in these examples because that's what you used.

A command more equivalent to your shutdown.exe command would be:

tbwinpe.exe /bootwim "\\?\Volume{1d378c76-af3e-4294-800c-1268710e1932}\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim" /mdl /force /quiet /ini Mode=WinPE
If you want the restart prompt, remove the /quiet option.

Note: The /ini option used here will switch the mode to the normal WinPE mode used by TBWinRE (instead of running the WinRE Recovery program). Using this option requires a TBWinRE/PE WIM configured to use TBLauncher v1.35 (or newer).
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

I've been a user for 10's of years and never realized that the ebexplo.tbs opton existed in Image. It is a little harder to use than the BIBM/GUI version, and I haven't tried all the options, but it's real nice to have as an easy, available option.

And, thank for your method:1 option to get my drive letter options straightened out. That is a real benefit.

AND ....you need to publicise the option of inserting your backup/restore system, operating system, and scripting capabilities into the native windows WINRE recovery set of options. For me, that itself makes system change and recovery much easier (no disks, no pen drives, no network boots, no bios changes/selections.) :D

Great Job. I'm surprised that more people do not know about your operation. What can we do for you?
Thanks again