The best way to restore backup photos

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
JavierNelson

The best way to restore backup photos

Post by JavierNelson »

I am using Image for Windows to backup my Windows 10 system partition to an external USB drive. I have created a recovery boot disk using the MakeDisk wizard, and I have tested it successfully. However, I have a question about the best way to restore my backup image in case of a system failure.

I have read that there are two methods to restore an image: using the recovery boot disk, or using the Image for Windows program from within Windows. I am wondering what are the pros and cons of these methods, and which one is faster and more reliable. I have also read that some users prefer to use Image for DOS or Image for UEFI instead of Image for Windows to restore their images. I am curious about the reasons for this preference, and whether it makes any difference in terms of performance or compatibility.
OldNavyGuy

Re: The best way to restore backup photos

Post by OldNavyGuy »

If you are restoring the System parition, you would need to use an off-Windows resource to boot into, such as TBWINRE, IFL, IFD, etc.

Even though you can back up a running Windows system, you can't restore to one.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

OldNavyGuy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:43 am If you are restoring the System parition, you would need to use an off-Windows resource to boot into, such as TBWINRE, IFL, IFD, etc.

Even though you can back up a running Windows system, you can't restore to one.
And my first choice would be Image for Linux (generally faster that the other alternatives mentioned).
OldNavyGuy

Post by OldNavyGuy »

Mine as well.