Manually uninstalling BootIt UEFI

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Scott

Manually uninstalling BootIt UEFI

Post by Scott »

Does uninstalling BootIt UEFI really just entail removing the \EFI\BootIt directory?
Scott

Re: Manually uninstalling BootIt UEFI

Post by Scott »

Reason I'm asking is that I can't access BootIt UEFI to uninstall it the normal way, due to video-related BIOS bugs. I've done a repair install of Win10 since I last used BootIt UEFI anyway. So I'm thinking the only remnants of it are in the aforementioned directory. Am I right?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

I think the main things are the booting files/folders for the operating systems. If BIU was managing the directories you might need to manually put the correct one back to its default location (depending on the booting state of the system) or you could do some type of boot repair to fix it up. Since you have already repaired Windows, you shouldn't need to do anything with those. If you had any special hidden GPT partitions or EMBR partitions (don't think you did), then you would want to fix those up for how you want them normally since not being managed by BootIt.

Otherwise, it should just be the BootIt folder, any remaining booting folders in \EFI (e.g. Microsoft.001, Microsoft.002, etc.), and possibly a BootIt entry in the BIOS boot list.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Finally got around to looking at this. I have a \EFI\BootIt directory. Also have an \EFI\Boot\SHIMX64.DAT, the contents of which point to "\EFI\BOOTIT\BOOTIT.EFI". I can also tell that \EFI\Boot\BOOTX64.EFI is a TeraByte file, not Microsoft.

I'm going to update from Win10 to Win11 soon. Will the Win11 installer redo the entire EFI volume as I expect, and make all of this irrelevant? I'm hoping so.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Hell with it. I reverted my system BIOS to resolve the aforementioned video issue, reinstalled BIU, then uninstalled it. Seems to be where it should at this point. Thanks for the replies.