Setting Up A Windows 11 Computer To Boot From A CD

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
jack450

Setting Up A Windows 11 Computer To Boot From A CD

Post by jack450 »

I just got a new laptop with Windows 11. I need to set the BIOS to boot from an external DVD drive so I can use IFL. It's a Dell Inspiron 16 and I downloaded Dell's instructions for adding the DVD drive as a boot device. Everything works great until I get to the very end and it asks me to select a file that ends in "CD". Unfortunately there is no file that ends in "CD". I realize this is more of a question for Dell, or maybe Microsoft, but I thought on the chance that someone on the list has a Dell laptop running Windows 11, home edition, that someone has already solved this issue and can share the solution.

Thanks,
Jack Greenberg
TeraByte Support

Re: Setting Up A Windows 11 Computer To Boot From A CD

Post by TeraByte Support »

Seems convoluted, it should just be there to use. But perhaps you don't have an internal device? If using external via USB you should be able to just choose that USB device via the F12 menu, but things seem to be regressing so maybe they will make you jump through hoops instead of having it just work like things have for over a decade. I don't have that particular model to test for you. You can boot IFL from a USB flash drive as well unless policy requires dvd/cd.
jack450

Post by jack450 »

Thanks for your reply. There actually was a file that had "CDROM" in the middle of the file name, but I was trying to follow their (Dell) instructions to the letter and was looking for a file name that ended in "CD". It worked great in my old Windows 10 Laptop but for some reason Windows 11 is different. I'll probably just end up calling Dell technical support. However if anyone has the Inspiron 16 with Windows 11 and has managed to set it up to boot off the F12 menu, I'd still welcome your input.

Thanks,
Jack Greenberg
jack450

Post by jack450 »

My original post from November 20, 2022 (above) is now a year old and I am wondering if since that original post anyone has solved the problem of booting from an external DVD/CD drive on a Dell laptop running Windows 11. Before commenting please read the original post for context.

Thanks,
Jack Greenberg
Fracso

Post by Fracso »

Why do you need a DVD/CD to boot from IFL? You can use a UFD.
jack450

Post by jack450 »

What’s a UFD? I have IFL on a disc and have uses it like that for years. Never had an issue until I got a laptop with Windows 11.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

UFD = USB Flash Drive.
jack450

Post by jack450 »

Oh, I had never heard a USB Flash drive called a UFD. However, the issue would still remain. The BIOS would still have to be directed to the USB drive to boot from it, which is where I'm stuck. The procedure to set up an external device to boot from is pretty straightforward for Windows 10 but not so much for Windows 11.
OldNavyGuy

Post by OldNavyGuy »

You may need to either -

1. Remake the IFL Boot CD/DVD on the Windows 11 system.

2. Turn off Secure Boot in Windows 11 to boot from the Windows 10 CD/DVD.

3. Remake the IFL Boot medium using a USB Flash Drive.

I looked briefly at the Inspiron 16 specs and didn't see anything about an included CD/DVD drive, so if you are using an external USB connected CD/DVD drive, it may need an updated driver for Windows 11.