Power option setting not transferred from IFW to IFW WinRE

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
pimjoosten

Power option setting not transferred from IFW to IFW WinRE

Post by pimjoosten »

Which restore settings are transferred to WinRE if IFW WinRE is used? I noticed that a Power option set in IFW is not transferred. After the computer is automatically rebooted the power option in WinRE is always Reboot, despite a different setting in IFW. That makes me wonder whether maybe some settings are not transferred. I cannot check that, because no summary is shown once WinRE has started.

If the power option is excluded on purpose I want to suggest to include it, because in various situations it makes sense to suspend or shutdown the computer after a restore. Now the power option has to be set manually after WinRE has started, which can be easily forgotten because one expects it has already been properly set in IFW.

This is with IFW v3.61a.
TeraByte Support

Re: Power option setting not transferred from IFW to IFW WinRE

Post by TeraByte Support »

When you save for tbwinre the command line defaults to the /rb option to reboot.
pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

Are you sure? Or is it only the case if IFW WinRE is used after pressing the Reboot button? I just tested a restore with "Shutdown when completed" set and then used the Save for TBWinPE button and the option included /rb:8. When I booted the TBWinRE boot.wim via TBWinPE/RE Builder with these parameters it was then executed and the computer was shutdown after completion.

If IFW WinRE defaults the /rb option to reboot this is inconsistent with the behavior when options are saved using the Save for TBWinPE button. This too would be another reason to obey the power option set in IFW, next to the various use cases where it would make sense to have the computer shutdown or suspend after restore and the fact that the current behavior is confusing and not even communicated anywhere, e.g. in a warning window or the manual. I honestly think this should be changed.

EDIT: I just saw in the log after a restore that the /rb option had indeed defaulted to 1, unlike what happens if I use Save for TBEWinPE/RE. Is there a reason for doing so?
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

When you use save for tbwinre it forces the /rb option because you typically want to reboot after done back to the os - you could edit the command line before using it.
pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

Thank you for your reply. The penny has dropped. When one restores via IFW, reboot is not the default yet, so it should be set as the default. I am still learning. I was apparently so conditioned by other backup programs I used that I assumed that for a system partition reboot is already the default in IFW.

It would still be nice of you could implement that if another power option is chosen that will be honored. For now the best approach to using a different power option is to set it in WinRE’s pull-down menu once it has started with the restore.
pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

Thanks for adding shutdown as a power option in IFW reboot in v3.62!