Support for Intel Rapid-Storage-Technology (Intel RST)?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
sfshank

Support for Intel Rapid-Storage-Technology (Intel RST)?

Post by sfshank »

I have a new Dell Precision PC that came with RAID enabled (Dell's default). My TBWinPE USB flash drive boots and IFW loads, but IFW cannot see the OS drive (NVME) or the Backup HDD. I understand I need to include the Intel RST drivers in the build. I could not locate a reputable source for driver package f6flpy-x64.zip (a comment said it was removed from the Intel site). So, I downloaded SetupRST.exe from the Intel Download Center and extracted the drivers at a command prompt per Intel instructions as follows:
SetupRST.exe -extractdrivers SetupRST_extracted
I then created a new folder
C:\TBWinPE\Drivers
and copied the extracted files into it.
Intel RST drivers.png
Intel RST drivers.png (37.28 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
Does TBWinPE.exe automatically include any drivers in that folder? What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance, of course.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Support for Intel Rapid-Storage-Technology (Intel RST)?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

I assume your build folder is C:\TBWinPE (TBWinPE.exe, etc.). The drivers should be included if the option is enabled (Settings, Build Options tab, Add drivers from "Drivers" folder). If you didn't already try using the option to include installed storage drivers, you could try that too.
sfshank

Post by sfshank »

Dear TB Support, sorry, but your last post was way over my knowledge level. DMRAID driver? Is that what I downloaded? If that's the wrong driver (despite Intel Downloads stating it was the most current), please provide a link to the right driver I should use. (FWIW, I have a brand new Dell Precision 3460 running Win 11 Pro.)

Moving on ... I repeated the process, but this time I included the two things you suggested. Result: Same as before. The USB drive boots and IFW opens, but the SSD boot drive and the HDD backup drive cannot be seen. Here is the play-by-play. The first image is composite of of 5 screen shots, in sequence, of my most recent build. (I had to use Photoshop to merge 5 images into one very tall one with medium resolution due to, apparently, forum limits of 3 attachments each 250K).
IFW1.jpg
IFW1.jpg (222.11 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
The image below shows what I see when I boot the resulting USB flash drive. First I see the IFW program, so far so good. Then my hopes are dashed when, again, there are no drives showing except the boot UFD.
IFW2.jpg
IFW2.jpg (118.1 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
So, what is the secret sauce to the recipe that is either (1) hiding in plain sight, or (2) missing in the instructions? Right now, my head is spinning with links to instructions and forum posts of both PE and RE instructions, links to drivers that don't quite exist as promised, YouTube videos, ... 8+ hours into this and counting.
Thanks in advance!
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

Are the drivers there when you booted?

Send the log created when running the build (Help / View Log).

What is the contents of the .INF files?
sfshank

Post by sfshank »

Are the drivers there when you booted? I don't know. The UFD boots directly into the program as if I were running in Win RE. I definitely chose PE. There is no option for a command prompt, so I wonder if I'm really using Win PE? The best I can provide is a listing of all the files in the UFD folder hierarch, which is included in the attached zip file.

Send the log created when running the build (Help / View Log). Included in the zip file are both DISM.log and TBWinPE.log.

What is the contents of the .INF files? Also included in attached zip file.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
TB_Forum_2198.zip
Contains 4 files
(14.59 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
TeraByte Support

The command prompt is available in the TBLauncher menu on the left side.

On the system where RST is installed and working, go to Device Manager, Storage Controllers, right click on the RST Controller, Properties, Details Tab, Choose the "Device instance path" property and what is its value?

In the mean time you could try taking the entire SetupRST_extracted\production\Windows10-x64\15063\Drivers folder over instead of just some items from the VMD directory. Just copy the directory over as a subdirectory under the TBWinPE\Drivers directory.

Also, if this system is not the same system being booted on (or uses a different Windows version), you can disable the option to add installed drivers (which override the drivers you're adding).
sfshank

Post by sfshank »

Dear Tech Support,
Under Device Manager > Storage Controllers there are 4 entries. Here are their names and their respective device instant path:
Intel RST VMD Controller A77F
Device instance path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A77F&SUBSYS_0AC71028&REV_00\3&11583659&0&70

Intel RST VMD Managed Controller 09AB
Device instance path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_09AB&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&11583659&0&30

Intel RST VMD Managed Controller 09AB
Device instance path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_09AB&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&11583659&0&B8

Microsoft VMD Managed Controller 09AB
Device instance path: ROOT\SPACEPORT\0000

I copied the entire SetupRST_extracted\production\Windows10-x64\15063\Drivers folder to the driver build folder. I also removed the prior entries, figuring they were redundant. The result driver folder for the build looks like this:
Driver folder.png
Driver folder.png (17.11 KiB) Viewed 3554 times
I did another build with these drivers and booted to it. Same result ... IFW cannot see the SSD or HDD drives. I am attaching zip file (TB_Forum2_2198.zip) with 3 files from this most recent attempt:
DISM.log
TBWinPE.log
drivertree_all_RST.txt - This lists all files when booted to the UFD drive at X:\Windows\System32\Drivers, including subdirectories.

The same computer is involved in making the UFD and using it, Dell Precision 3460, Win 11 Pro.
Thanks for bearing with me!
Attachments
TB_Forum2_2198.zip
3 files
(8.49 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
TeraByte Support

I don't see a driver for the A77F controller. Get the drivers from the mobo manufacturer for Win11 x64, use those (ensure the A77F and 9AB devices are covered - look in the .inf) disable the option "Add installed storage and network drivers" then build.

Here's the driver you need:

https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER09074219M/2/I ... A02_01.EXE

Extract that (using 7zip for example) then in there you'll find the drivers you need in:
production\Windows10-x64\15063\Drivers\VMD

Copy over the VMD folder to the TBWinPE drivers folder (get rid of the other stuff).

Disable the "Add installed storage and network drivers" before building to ensure it only uses the dell provided version.
sfshank

Post by sfshank »

YIPPEE!! This is the look of success:
TBWinPE_Success.jpg
TBWinPE_Success.jpg (133.94 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Time for a victory lap. Thank-you! Thank-you! Now I can use the faster RAID driver instead of AHCI.
By the way, I agree with the comment by the original poster "schittli" that the tutorial needs to be streamlined, and add the stuff getting the driver from the manufacturer rather than searching the web, or even the Intel download site. Perhaps deal with fringe cases at the bottom?