IFL on 64-bit Linux distributions

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
brucebne

IFL on 64-bit Linux distributions

Post by brucebne »

I am following the instructions to download requisite files to have IFL run ........ in a Linux Debian 11.7 distro - MX Linux 21.3

The instructions I am following are at
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... /#debian10
for Debian 10 (buster), Debian 11 (bullseye)

All commands are successful until this one:
wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... 3_i386.deb

giving the error message
Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org (ftp.us.debian.org)|64.50.236.52|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2023-06-23 14:37:55 ERROR 404: Not Found

The installation cannot proceed without this.

I'd appreciate terabyte support providing a solution.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: IFL on 64-bit Linux distributions

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Looks like they removed the package.

It should work to use the GUI #2, #3, #4 commands in the "Ubuntu 19.04, 19.10, 20.04, 20.10; Linux Mint 20.1*" section.
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... /#ubuntu19
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Thanks.
I thnk they have updated the package from 12 to 16.
version 16 dowloaded with tweaked commands, and I was able to install and start IFL in Mx, but during config, it referenced a *.12 file and could not proceed.
Will give Ubuntu a try and let report back.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Thanks again.
The latest Ubuntu commands installed all files successfully, then I registered current user as member of disk group, and can now successfully run IFL from within MX Linux 21.3 on a 64 bit architecture Dell laptop.

I am experimenting with this popular OS (have been using Linux Mint for 9 years), and it is really helpful to do full partition images regularly in case of major glitches.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bruce, how are you locking the Linux partition prior to creating the IFL image?
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian, I have been using IFL to image the active OS partition for around 5 years.
I know Terabyte advise to do images of unmounted partitions, but I have experimented with this intensively and never had an issue restoring my images.

I minimize use of computer resources when the image is being created. (I had a vague memory that IFL when it first came out stated you could do images of the active OS partition, so I presumed it did a lock automatically...but I appreciate the manual now says image unmounted partitions).

Obviously, I create the image on a separate partition.
I do this because it is convenient when experimenting with new software or kernels, to do a quick image prior. These take less than 1 minute to complete.

Since installing IFL successfully into MX Linux 23.1, I have imaged the active OS 5-6 times, and restored 3 times. I have not had an issue.
I also restored an IFL image from BIU to ensure the IFL images are compatible with Bootit.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian, btw, I recall we discussed IFL some years ago.
I have been using Linux Mint since then 99% of the time.
I still need Windows 10 for work purposes for a couple of Windows programs.

One advantage of the Linux OSs is their lighter use of computer resources.
I have noted consistently windows causes my laptop cooling fans to be on more regularly, and the laptop base is consistently hotter.

Fans rarely come on with Linux Mint.
MX is even lighter than Mint, hence my current testing.

There are even lighter Linux distros that I haven't used intensively.
If you are interested in your laptops lasting more years, and getting longer sessions out of your batteries, then Linux is the future.

My computers : Lenovo Yoga 720 13.3", Lenovo ThinkBook 13S Gen 2 13.3", Dell Latitude 5289 12.5" touch screen.
Business laptops are typically 14" displays, but smaller displays are easier on batteries.