Can't copy or slide some partitions with PartWork

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Alex

Can't copy or slide some partitions with PartWork

Post by Alex »

Using PartWork 1.86a on a UEFI GPT hard disk, the only options available for a partition whose format is unknown to the program (e.g., a VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt volume) are Delete and Properties. I can understand why Trim and Resize can't be done, but why not Copy or Slide? To move such a partition requires backing it up to a .tbi file somewhere, deleting the hard drive partition, and then "restoring" it from the backup to wherever one wants it on the disk. What's strange is that on older BIOS/MBR systems, one can copy and slide these kinds of partitions. So, why not on GPT drives?
TeraByte Support

Re: Can't copy or slide some partitions with PartWork

Post by TeraByte Support »

many partitions have to have information about its location on the drive updated and for unknown types it wouldn't know how to do it.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Do I infer correctly from your reply that UEFI GPT hard disks have less information about a partition than the same partition on a BIOS/MBR disk? If so, is there a way for me to provide the lacking information so that the partition can be copied or slid?
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

no, it's that the file system itself is unknown which has the reference. What you could do to trick it is to temporarily change the file system id to something that will allow slide then change it back after. If MBR then maybe 0xEB - if gpt then MS Reserved type. (make sure you save the prior id / type so you can put it back when done).