Scale to Fit

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Mike

Scale to Fit

Post by Mike »

While I'm not clear on the difference between Scale to Fit and Scale to Target, I understand they are used when the target drive is larger than the drive from which an image was created with IFL. If I have an image from a 500GB drive but there is only 100GB of data, is there a way to Shrink to Fit a 250GB target drive?
OldNavyGuy

Re: Scale to Fit

Post by OldNavyGuy »

See pages 75 and 77 of the IFL User's Guide on Scale to Fit and Scale to Target.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I read those before I posted here. The explanation is not as clear to me as it is to you.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

using round numbers base 10, source 1g target 2g single partition on drive is 500m, scale to fit gives you a 2g partition, scale to target gives you a 1g partition.
Mike

Post by Mike »

So there's no Shrink to Fit? If I have a 540GB Source that I want to replace with a 480GB Target, I'm currently using BIBM to shrink the 540GB partition, using IFL to image the drive, using IFL to restore the image to the Target, and then using BIBM to resize the partition to the full drive size. I'm trying to save some steps, but if I understand your example, there is no other way to do what I'm doing.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

It basically works the same way, but see https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... partition/