Help me understand boot process with BootitBM/dual boot

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
noprogrammer

Help me understand boot process with BootitBM/dual boot

Post by noprogrammer »

Hoping this forum has gotten more support than last time I was here quite a while back. Let's see if the time I spent finding it and registering was worth it?

Had to abandon Bootitbm for most of my backups due to inability to get answers here b4. But now I'm back as I want to use it again to install another OS.

Dualboot win 8.1/7. Older version of bootitbm (came with the lappie).

Bootit boot menu appears. You have to boot win7 to get to win8.1. Clicking on win7 in the bootitbm menu takes me to WINDOWS dual boot options page, select either win7 or win8.1
This changed from the earlier bootitbm menu but I still have to select win7 in order to boot win8.1. If I click directly on 8.1 I get an error message something like no OS installed.

Upshot is I want to add win10 to another partition. No unlimited partitions, just the usual 4 I think it is. One is the kind that allows multiple virtual partitions.

I want to install w10 on one of the virtual (extended?) partitions and have the choice of THREE OS's to boot from?

Is that possible? Can anyone here who actually knows how to do this, please give me a step by step procedure to accomplish this?

Thanks for any constructive replies.
noprogrammer

Re: Help me understand boot process with BootitBM/dual boot

Post by noprogrammer »

I forgot to add that UEFI is disabled, using legacy boot
TeraByte Support

Re: Help me understand boot process with BootitBM/dual boot

Post by TeraByte Support »

See https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... -7-8-x-10/

If you try to install to an extended partitions volume, the Windows installer will install to the activate primary partition, you'll have to manually copy over the files and edit it (like in the article). You could also use multi-os in that case, but that is a little more involved in understanding how it works.

Also these appear to be your first posts and didn't see any others.