Migrate OS on MBR disk to GPT disk on another computer.

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
skipro

Re: Migrate OS on MBR disk to GPT disk on another computer.

Post by skipro »

I can get all to boot, but the "moved" Win OS never finishes the process. It boots to desktop but cursor is hourglass and no desktop icons. I have taskbar icons. I cannot get any function except C/A/D. Seems to be working but getting nowhere. Therefore, my new question/topic regarding adding drivers with osdtool. With this attempt I just booted and tried to let windows make necessary changes. Partial success. I do not know what is holding it up, driver or something else.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Drivers aside, sometimes it can take multiple boot-ups to get things worked out. But you should be able to tell things are improving if that's the case here.

Is the desktop background showing? Did the OS have programs and/or user files located off of its Windows partition? You can use the setwindl.tbs script to check the drive letter assignments are set correctly. Also, make sure none of the required partitions are set to "Hide" in the BootIt menu item.

If you're not using a plain wired USB mouse and keyboard, you could try that (if available).

Does Ctrl-Alt-Del bring up the normal Windows screen for that? Can you run Task Manager from there? If so, does it let you run anything?

Have you tried booting it into Safe Mode?
skipro

Post by skipro »

Desktop background is showing, but no "desktop" icons.
OS has all programs and user files on this partition.
Using wired mouse/keyboard.
C/A/D brings up normal options. Task Manager did come up after long delay once. Nothing obvious except high CPU usage from a mouse pad app.
Nothing brings up a normal desktop and no windows functions work.
Safe mode did not help.
I have successfully migrated Win10 OSs before, but not to this computer.
This is obviously spinning its wheels.
I want to experiment more but need time and life is getting in my way.
Will get back on this.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

try killing that app and then try running explorer.exe yourself.
skipro

Post by skipro »

Drama over.
This has been an experiment to learn how to deal with UEFI, BIU, your tools, and migrating Win OS from MBR PC to a UEFI PC.
I started this migration by copying my Win partition from original MBR PC and pasting it to the new UEFI PC, after reducing partition size to speed up copy/paste. Migration process was extremely slow [over 24 hours] and stagnated as described above. Tried multiple times with different copies of OS partition over multiple days, many, many hours, trying everything I could think of. Once or twice the migration process complained of insufficient space for page file. I would increase partition size but no improvement or advancement of the process. Osdtool and adding devices was never successful, see other thread.

Started over with a copy of partition I enlarged prior to starting migration to see if avoiding the issue of insufficient space for page file would change anything.
Essentially instant migration, and I mean instant, maybe 1-2 minutes, no hiccups.
This is me slapping myself in the head.

With a Win migration, PC to PC, will Windows usually make the necessary driver changes without the need of osdtool, see my other thread? In my somewhat limited experience of migrating Win10 from 1 MBR PC to another MBR PC, and now MBR to UEFI, Windows will do this. If so, when does the need for osdtool [driver removal/addition] for migration arise?

My last question, I [we] hope. As previously stated, when I converted a drive with several OS partitions from MBR to GPT, why do my "non-main" OS partitions convert to Win RE type partitions? This happened every time I converted a disk, which I did multiple times, and on different disks. Easy fix, but I am curious as to the cause.

I apologize for mixing, if not metaphors, threads.
Thank you for your help and patience.
TeraByte Support

It would depend on what the file system type was on the MBR / EBMR. You can see that in properties on the MBR/EMBR drive (or partinfo listing). You could also see it via /L /F:filename /ALL from the imaging programs if you have a backup .tbi file of that drive.
skipro

Post by skipro »

standard ntfs
TeraByte Support

what number is fsid in the listing?