IFL iso and log file

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
tbifan39

IFL iso and log file

Post by tbifan39 »

I am booting IFL from an iso on a flash drive. I would like to save the log file on the flash drive. I know I can put in the logfile location in one of the options field in makedisk. I don't know the syntax, I am not too familiar with Linux.

i launch terminal from IFL. I used command: imagel -l

Here is the result for the flash drive:

Hd1 (sdb)
E2B (01) NTFS
E2B_PTN2 (02) FAT32

I have a folder on the FAT32 partition called IFL. I would like to save the logfile in the folder. What is the command I put in the option field in makedisk. Would if be better to put the folder on the NTFS partition? IFL.iso is on the NTFS partition? Thanks.
Brian K

Re: IFL iso and log file

Post by Brian K »

tbifan39,

Does this suit? Make an IFL UFD from makedisk.exe.
Choose...
Traditional, Custom
Leave Boot Drive Mounted as /tbu/boot

ifl.log is saved in the root of the UFD.
tbifan39

Post by tbifan39 »

I have never tried UFD, but if this makes a dedicated IFL boot flash drive; then it won't work. I have several utilities on this flash drive. That's why I am booting from an iso. That is why I prefer to use the "logfile=" command.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You could try using a bash script to search for the flash drive and mount it. If IFL is configured to use that mount path for the log file then it should save it there. The basic steps would be:

1. Create the script file. I used "findifl" in this example. Put the script into the "scripts" subfolder of the MakeDisk files.
2. Run MakeDisk and select the Traditional...Custom mode.
3. On the step to add ifl.ini options, add the logfile option: logfile=/tbu/iflmedia/ifl/ifl.log
4. On the Boot Option - Mounting step, select the "Normal Boot - Boot Drive is Not Mounted" option.
5. On the Boot Option - Scripting step, select the "Run All..." option (assumes you just put the one script in the scripts folder).
6. Finish creating the IFL ISO file.

For the findifl script, the example below just searches for a matching partition number and label. You would need to adjust as necessary to match up to your specific flash drive. This example is searching for the second partition (2) with a partition label of "IFL_3_56". You would need set the partition label to something unique and adjust the search text. Also, it assumes a FAT32 partition is being used (as shown in your post).

While testing, it's generally a lot easier to boot to IFL and just tweak and run the script until you get it working as needed. Then create the IFL boot media configured to run it on startup. To get the blkid output being used, run the Terminal and then the blkid command. For example, to list the output for /dev/sdb2, you would run: blkid /dev/sdb2

If testing in IFL and trying to run the script, you may need to set the permissions first. From a Terminal: chmod 777 findifl
Then, to run the script: ./findifl

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash

for f in sd{a..z}
do
	p=2
	echo Checking /dev/$f$p...
	blkid /dev/$f$p | grep "LABEL=\"IFL_3_56\"" > /dev/null
	if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
		echo IFL partition found: /dev/$f$p
		mkdir /tbu/iflmedia
		mount /dev/$f$p /tbu/iflmedia
		break
	fi
done
tbifan39

Post by tbifan39 »

I didn't realize I needed a script to do it. I just ran a terminal and used command imagel -l I believe to get drives and partition info.

For flash drive:
HD1 (sdb)
E2B (01) NTFS
E2B_PTN2 (02) FAT32

So I used command Logfile=/dev/sdb2/tbi/ifl.txt in options. I haven't tested it yet, but I guess you are saying it won't work.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The partition used has to be mounted and it won't be mounted after booting. You need to use a script to find it and mount it so it's available for IFL to write the log to.