BIBM 1.86-Disk Check when resize partition takes forever)

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
ohaya1000

BIBM 1.86-Disk Check when resize partition takes forever)

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

I now have BIBM 1.86 installed on a Dell Precision with a new 1TB WD SSD. I cleaned the SSD (removed all partitions) and installed Windows 10 Pro on a new ~130GB partition last night, then this morning I wanted to increase the size of the partition, so I used BIBM to do a Resize on the Windows partition and the popup saying that it is checking the partition appears, but it seems to take forever (I haven't seen it actually finish). The HD activity LED is blinking during the checking.

I also created a 200GB partition (NTFS formatted) at the end of the SSD and when I try to do Resize, it get past the check immediately.

Any idea why BIBM would be taking that long to check that Windows partition?

Thanks,
Jim
Bob Coleman

Re: BIBM 1.86-Disk Check when resize partition takes forever)

Post by Bob Coleman »

Not that I know the details of what happens, but the resize on the newly created partition is probably instant because there is no data to be concerned with.

I'm GUESSING that on the other partition some kind of integrity checking of the file system and data is being done (and there might be a lot to check if it's a Windows partition).
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I don't think this helps much, but I just started a resize on a 100000 MiB Windows partition expecting to wait a while, but the check lasted less than 5 minutes.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Bob,

FYI, the history of that Windows partition was (I created the 1024MB EMBR partition and a 130+MB partition (I thought that would be enough but...), then I booted to a Win10 installer USB stick and installed Win10 on the 130_ MB partition. When I got done, the 130+MB partition was almost full :(!!! I was kind of surprised because I am pretty sure I have installed clean Win10 in much smaller partitions, but I think the Windows image I got was patched up to the H22 or whatever, so it seems it was pretty large :(.

I then tried to resize using BIBM but like i said, the checking window popped up and just sat there for awhile, so I kind of gave up on that and expanded the partition using Windows Disk Management (I really would've preferred to do the resize using BIBM!).

I'm kind of surprised that checking a disk that has data is that much slower than checking an "empty, but formatted" partition? Don't both checking runs have to touch every byte in the partition?

Also I didn't wait for the checking to finish, so I don't know how long it WOULD have taken, but it would be nice if there was some kind of progress bar during the checking so we can see that it at least isn't hung?

Thanks,
Jim
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

probably because BIOS access to the drive is very slow...
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

Just letting you know that I was finally able to do the resize using BIBM today. I started the resize and just left it alone for awhile... didn't time ... and when I went back to the laptop it had gotten past the check.