IFW Process Priority | Below Normal

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Hadron

IFW Process Priority | Below Normal

Post by Hadron »

I often use the IFWRotate script.

I'm not sure how long it's been happening, but I've noticed recently that the Process Priority is displaying "Below Normal". I'm pretty sure that it used to be "Normal".

If I run a backup manually, then the Process Priority is "Normal". So, I guess it has something to do with the IFWRotate script settings.
Could you please point me in the direction where to change it? 🙂
Hadron

Re: IFW Process Priority | Below Normal

Post by Hadron »

I found the CPU Process Priority setting in the user manual some time ago.

For a "Normal" CPU Process Priority, add Priority=2 to the [Options] section of IFW.ini located in the program folder.
The available options for n are:
0=Low
1=Below Normal
2=Normal
3=Above Normal
4=High

It got me thinking that maybe this CPU Process Priority setting could be included in the GUI like other backup applications that I've used.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

it's in the progress interface. note that high doesn't necessarily make it faster, it could take away resources from system which slows writing of system cache when used.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

TeraByte Support wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:35 am note that high doesn't necessarily make it faster, it could take away resources from system which slows writing of system cache when used.
Does that mean 'High' setting could make even slower the overall progress of the backup operation?
I always set it to 'High'.
TeraByte Support

yes
Hadron

Post by Hadron »

TeraByte Support wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:35 am it's in the progress interface. note that high doesn't necessarily make it faster, it could take away resources from system which slows writing of system cache when used.
Yes, but changing it in the progress interface means you have to change it every single time. It doesn't remember for next time.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

Hadron wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:00 pm Yes, but changing it in the progress interface means you have to change it every single time. It doesn't remember for next time.
Because you have to edit ifw.ini file and add the line PHYLockUseReg=0 under [Options]
This way IFW bypasses the registry's settings.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

TeraByte Support wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:29 pmyes
Then this is a matter of trial and error process on each and every different system we might use IFW for imaging drives.
TeraByte Support

My guess is it may only be better if directly accessing a file system and not using a windows drive path. But in general, using the Windows file services is faster than accessing directly.
Hadron

Post by Hadron »

Mr.X wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:38 am
Hadron wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:00 pm Yes, but changing it in the progress interface means you have to change it every single time. It doesn't remember for next time.
Because you have to edit ifw.ini file and add the line PHYLockUseReg=0 under [Options]
This way IFW bypasses the registry's settings.
That's already there.
By the way, does that PHYLock setting control more than just PHYLock?