UEFI-add partition to Boot edit

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
skipro

UEFI-add partition to Boot edit

Post by skipro »

Dual boot Win 10 & Win 8.
Installed Win 10 and BUI. All ok, boots into Win 10.
I have a Win 8 partition that I need to add to Boot menu so I can dual boot Win 10 & Win 8. This partition is located just after, below, Win 10 partition.
How do I do this?
I know it has to be added to EFI partition.
In the EFI partition, I added a "Menu" item, named Windows 8, edited "Description" - Windows 8, "Device" to Win 8 [name of Win 8 partition], 'OS device" to Win 8. In "Boot", 1st line Windows 8. Windows 10 is below the "Windows Resume Application" line.

In Boot Edit:
Boot - EFI System
Boot file - "Microsoft.001\Boot\Bootmfgw.efi"

It boots into Win 10 partition, not Win 8.
Brian K

Re: UEFI-add partition to Boot edit

Post by Brian K »

skipro,

In BIU click Run, fixboot.tbs
Proceed through the options. This will create a Microsoft.xxx. Make a note of xxx.
Create a Boot Item using Microsoft.xxx.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

don't forget boot item to enable rename, etc..
skipro

Post by skipro »

Thank you for your replies.
Brian: fixboot "not found", possibly because I did not include scripting in install.
TB support: enabling "rename" seemed to do the trick. What does the "etc" refer to?
1) What is the correct way of adding the 2nd OS so it sets up the proper boot option? My method seems to be a hack approach. To get it to be bootable [added to bootedit] I tried to copy/paste the 2nd OS so I could include "add to boot menu" but it failed, saying EFI partition not enough room, it was 100 MiB. Not sure why this happened since now with the 2nd OS included the size is only 34 MiB. Resized to 300 but still would not add. I seem to remember never getting this to work in the distant past.
2) Now I boot to the Windows "Choose an OS" menu. Is this supposed to happen? Is this the only way?
3) Now I do not boot to BUI. To get to BUI, I must reactivate with flash even though I have "auto reactivate" checked.
4) I seem to run into issues if I Hide the "other" OS in Bootedit. I think the "hide" status stays when booting into that OS.
5) Should 55 bit be checked? It is not checked.
6) Should I check "use UEFI BM" in bootedit? It is not checked. When should it be checked? What does it do? When should it not be checked?

The old MBR/BIBM was so easy to setup and use.
skipro

Post by skipro »

No response to any question?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I assume you have reinstalled BIU with Scripting and selected bit 55. Any difference?
skipro

Post by skipro »

Brian,
I did not enable scripting because when checking "Rename", it allowed the dual boot, without checking 55. Should this work without checking 55?
I now boot into Windows "Choose an OS" menu, not BUI, even after reactivating BIU. Is this because of the method of configuring EFI to add the 2nd OS. I added a "Menu" item for the 2nd OS. If I had added the 2nd partition "\efi\microsoft.002\boot\bootmgfw.efi" would this then boot into BIU?
What would be the difference in outcome between these 2 methods?
Thank you.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

skipro,

You have a Microsoft dual boot as well as a BIU dual boot. I'm not sure how you can remove the Microsoft dual boot.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

Brian K wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:41 pm skipro,

You have a Microsoft dual boot as well as a BIU dual boot. I'm not sure how you can remove the Microsoft dual boot.
bcdedit in partition work.
skipro

Post by skipro »

Quote:: "bcdedit in partition work."
A little too cryptic for me. More info would be helpful.
Thank you.