IFW Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Stopped Working

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
SpecialK

IFW Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Stopped Working

Post by SpecialK »

I use IFW to image backup several computers. I have the default set to use VSS. This was working fine until a few weeks ago when on one of the computers IFW forces backup to use Phylock. VSS error "Unable to obtain a lock on C drive."

I would prefer to use VSS for the backup. Only two things changed since VSS no longer works. Updated Windows 11 to 2022-H2 and updated IFW to v3.55.

Windows Event log:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
Writer Name: System Writer
Writer Instance ID: {6f1bc1b4-3e55-4ef9-a723-8bf49b108397}

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Cannot find diff areas for creating shadow copies. Add at least one NTFS drive to the system with enough free space. The free space needed is at least 32 Mb for each volume to be shadow copied.

Operation:
Automatically choosing a diff-area volume
Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
Volume Name: \\?\Volume{83a1a1ec-5bb3-423c-bd4d-65b5c361bae4}\
Volume Name: \\?\Volume{9c2e1272-19b6-41b6-a2da-5bb1afa6640a}\
Execution Context: System Provider
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: IFW Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Stopped Working

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Have you checked that there is enough free space on an NTFS partition on the drive? Note that if BitLocker is being used on any of the partitions (such as the Windows partition) that it won't be used for free space. In that case, all the space needs to be on a different partition (like the Recovery/WinRE partition). One scenario that can cause this issue to occur when it hadn't before is when the WinRE partition was being used for free space and the WIM now takes up more space than before.
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

Yes, I have Bitlocker turned on. I think your WIM size theory is correct. The upgrade I just did to 2022 H2 may have reduced the space that previosuly was sufficient for VSS. I will consider adjusting partition size to rectify.
mufflermild

Post by mufflermild »

SpecialK wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:16 pm Yes, I have Bitlocker turned on. I think your WIM size theory is correct. The upgrade I just did to 2022 H2 may have reduced the space that previosuly was sufficient for VSS. I will consider adjusting partition size to rectifyhappy wheels
I also have the similar problem. Can you update the results?
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

Hello,

I need to revisit this topic. I want to make VSS work instead of using Phylock. Phlock won't let me subsequently do a simple TBImount of the imaged drive because the imaged drive has Bitlocker turned on. Is there a formula for how big the Recovery partition would need to be for VSS to work like it used to (before H2 update)? Total drive size is 256 GB. Recovery partition size is 820 MB with only 44 MB free.

PS. I just tried using VSS and selecting "ignore errors, go ahead anyway." Tried to mount the resulting image and got "You need to format the drive before you can use it. Volume does not contain recognizeable file system."
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

TBIHD mounts the image as a physical drive.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

For the free space needed, I've seen various amounts work -- some smaller than what they say and some larger (the error says 32MB for each volume being shadow copied). It may need something in the 50-100MB range. However, if resizing the partition larger you might as well give it 200MB+ so it has a little room. And figure on Windows update changing it again at some point.