Can I safely resize/slide EFI and/or System Reserved Partition?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
nahlik

Can I safely resize/slide EFI and/or System Reserved Partition?

Post by nahlik »

I’ve been using BootIt software for more than 20 years, but I’m new to this forum, as this is the first time I need help.
I have two installations of Windows 10 on different drives. The BootIt UEFI, EFI partiton, Windows reserved partition and some others are on the same SSD M2 drive.
All worked fine till Windows 10 19H1. But trying to upgrade them to 20H1 or later, I get the message: Windows update failure: We couldn’t update the system reserved partition. And as the reason: not enough free space on system reserved partition. I assume this is probably EFI partition.
Both EFI and Microsoft reserved partion (GPT) are very small (EFI – 99 MiB, Microsoft Reserved (GPT) – 16 MiB.

On my newer laptop with only one Widows 10 they are much bigger: EFI partition has 650 MiB and Microsoft reserved is 128 MiB.
Can i just slide two partitions below to make some free space after and just resize and/or slide both EFI and the Microsoft reserved partition with BootIt UEFI as I can do with “normal” partitions?
BooiIT-screen1.jpg
BooiIT-screen1.jpg (62.3 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
I have already updated BootIt UEFI and made the image of the whole drive in case something goes wrong
TIA for any hints
Cheers
Chris
TeraByte Support

Re: Can I safely resize/slide EFI and/or System Reserved Partition?

Post by TeraByte Support »

It's the EFI System partition you want larger.
nahlik

Re: Can I safely resize/slide EFI and/or System Reserved Partition?

Post by nahlik »

Thanks. I moved all lower partitions, resized EFI partition to 1024 MiB, and now everything is OK.