IFL cloning - new computer says Invalid Boot Device

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
ZeroFlight

IFL cloning - new computer says Invalid Boot Device

Post by ZeroFlight »

Background:
2 laptops, old & new, both Dell though different product lines.
Old is running a 2tb NVMe Win 10.
New came with a 1tb NVMe Win11.
I purchased a a brand new 2tb NVMe (better, faster than the one in the Old).

The problems:
The new 2tb is a few bytes smaller than the Old one so a direct clone doesn't work, complaining that it's too small. But there's lots of free space so I opted to compact it then restore & resize. It restores without problem so I boot it up in the Old laptop & verify it's working. Then I pop it into the New laptop. But New laptop says there's no boot device. It does see the drive in BIOS. But no matter what I do, I can't get it to get to a state where I can even run a repair on Windows if it came to it. The New laptop has a BIOS I'm not yet that familiar with and has quite a few more options than I've used in the past.

Things I've tried:
Disabled SecureBoot & enabled it for a few different iterations of the below
Disabled Microsoft UEFI CA
Changed Secure Boot Mode to Audit Mode instead of Deployed
Cleared the TPM & returned it to default state
Replaced the EFI partition with the one from the New laptop's original drive
Copied all of the non-OS partitions from the New laptop's original drive then restored in the OS partition from the Old laptop.
If I run a Win10 installation media run the BootRec commands, it doesn't show any operating systems, so I can't use that to repair any partition pointers.

I haven't turned TPM off outright. I also have not yet put the Old laptop drive directly in the New laptop. I'm pretty much out of ideas here. Any other things you can think of? I have licenses for all of the products so if I need to switch from IFL to one of the others, I can do that.
ZeroFlight

Re: IFL cloning - new computer says Invalid Boot Device

Post by ZeroFlight »

Additional notes...
The new drive is a Samsung. If I run a Win10 install USB, it doesn't even see the drive as an option to install to, though BIOS does show it. BIOS is set to RAID mode, not AHCI so maybe I need to change that. So with the install media not even recognizing the drive, I can't try installing Windows from scratch then restoring just the OS partition.
ZeroFlight

Re: IFL cloning - new computer says Invalid Boot Device

Post by ZeroFlight »

Ha, that was it! New computer needed to be in AHCI for it to work. So popped it back into the Old laptop to prep the OS for the change, then back into the New laptop with AHCI instead of RAID. Stupid drivers.