Confused my creating boot media for IFW ver 3

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
JoRene41

Confused my creating boot media for IFW ver 3

Post by JoRene41 »

I have used IFW ver 2.99 in the past and am now planning to update to ver 3. However I am really confused by the instructions for creating the boot media to restore a backup. It was easy before. Now there are numerous choices that I don’t understand. Also I don’t know how large a USB device I need. It used to be a very small size, but now I’m worried it needs a much larger USB. What option do I select to be able to boot the usb into something that will allow me to restore a BU in windows 10 and 11 on computers with uefi boot requirements? Can I create this while trying out the program with the trial version. I don’t want to purchase until I’m sure I can both back up and restore.

Thank you,
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Confused my creating boot media for IFW ver 3

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The current boot media versions are a bit larger than the old ones, but still should fit on small flash drives (unless you mean super small like under 1GB). Except for TBWinPE/RE, I think they would all fit on a 256MB drive.

The process to create the boot media is the same as 2.99. Run the MakeDisk program for the version you want (IFD, IFL, IFU) or TBWinPE/RE Builder to create the TBWinRE (IFW) boot media.

You can create boot media with the trial versions, but some features may be missing or limited. Using the default options is usually fine if you're unsure about them.

Which boot media or choices are you needing help with?
JoRene41

Post by JoRene41 »

I was able to figure out the boot media process and successfully create the media. It was easier than it seemed from all the instructions. I also was able to boot into the media. (And the USB didn't need to be as large as I was expecting.)

Now I just need to decide whether to buy just the IFW suite or the suite that includes Boot IT. I'm less secure about changing my paritions with current computers and their secure booting. Does anyone have a recommendation?
JoRene41

Post by JoRene41 »

Do I need to create a separate boot disk for different computers or different operating systems? I have win10 on a desktop and win11 on a laptop.
Thank you Also, when I purchase the program, will I need to recreate the boot disks to reflect that the program is registered?

Thank you again!
Last edited by JoRene41 on Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Even if you're not going to use BootIt installed, having the license allows using Partition Work in IFL and the BootIt enhancements in TBOSDT. It's cheaper with the bundle, but can always be purchased separately later.

If creating IFD/IFL/IFU, create the boot media the same way as before. If you created the TBWinRE boot media and don't want to go through the build process again, you can just run the MakeDisk program in the 'tbwinre' folder to create the media (since no build changes needed).
JoRene41

Post by JoRene41 »

Please look at previous question that I entered after the last response about whether I need separate usb media for different computers or operating systems.

Thanks
TeraByte Support(PP)

You can use the same boot media unless it's necessary to use a more custom version. For example, if you're using TBWinRE and you need a build with a custom configuration or specific drivers for a system. Also, for TBWinRE, the build on Windows 11 would have a newer source, etc. As long as it boots up and supports the system either would be fine, though.