Fresh Install BIBM UEFI + IFL

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
johnstrasser

Fresh Install BIBM UEFI + IFL

Post by johnstrasser »

Hi Folks,

Dumb question time:

Been using TB since forever (2006ish) but now I'm building a new system and need Bootit UEFI.

1) Since my download page doesn't actually list the UEFI version I'm assuming I need to upgrade, right?

2) It appears that in my IFW suite there is an IFU package. As a linux user can I keep using IFL? Or do I need to use IFU (which looks like a windows program)?

For some reason I have 2 different accounts (with 2 different emails :roll: eventually I'll sort that out).
My Image suite has the following versions IFxxx v3.56 so I'm guessing that's ok.

Actually even for my friends that are windows users, should I be switching them over to IFU from IFW too?
What about running from freedos? Is IFD still useful? Or again does UEFI mess everything up?

Thanks,

waiting with credit card ready to upgrade
TeraByte Support

Re: Fresh Install BIBM UEFI + IFL

Post by TeraByte Support »

IFL is fine to use.

Yes, if the collection doesn't show, use the upgrade button there to upgrade at a discount.
johnstrasser

Post by johnstrasser »

Sweet :D

Thank you for the swift, after hours assist. Now I get to fire everything up tonight, rather than tomorow.

JS
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

johnstrasser wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:05 am
Actually even for my friends that are windows users, should I be switching them over to IFU from IFW too?
What about running from freedos? Is IFD still useful? Or again does UEFI mess everything up?
Switching to IFU from IFW doesn't make sense. IFW is fine on either traditional BIOS or UEFI systems. IFU can roughly be thought of as equivalent IFD, IFD for traditional BIOS systems, IFU for UEFI systems. IFD is probably useful for something, but on a UEFI system, it probably makes more sense to use IFU,
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Further to my previous response, IFD works fine on a UEFI system with legacy booting enabled, but it may make more sense to use IFU, if either. I always use IFW or IFL.
johnstrasser

Post by johnstrasser »

Thanks Bob. 80% of the time I've been using IFD only because that's built in to BIBM, or because most of my systems have a FreeDOS partition on them (I'm nostalgic what can I say...)

But for most of my friends who I have convinced to order TB they're running on windows. And while I've never noticed a problem with IFW I just figured I'd check. Your comparison of IFU to IFD makes sense. Thanks
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Probably straying off the topic, but yes, IFD built into BIBM can be convenient, but you will almost certainly find IFL faster. Straying even further, IFL can be put into a partition which can be booted via the BIBM boot menu which makes it nearly as convenient as IFD. Yes it will take slightly longer to boot IFL than IFD, but this will almost certainly be offset by the greater speed of IFL.

Afterthought: Sounds like you will be migrating from BIBM to BIU in which case IFU will be be built in to BIU in the same sense as IFD is built in to BIBM.