Two of my 3 partitions are dead today

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
leyeti77

Re: Two of my 3 partitions are dead today

Post by leyeti77 »

Brian K wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:04 pm Regarding installing multiple OS...
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/
BootIt UEFI
Download the video.
Done, will read now. Thx
leyeti77

Post by leyeti77 »

Teams,
1- The Video

My goal is to have 3 Windows Partition on 3 separate drive, and BUI on a 4th drive.
Drive0 : BUI + "My Documents"
Drive1 : Win11Foto
Drive2 : Win11Gaming
Drive3 : Win11Test

@Brian K : Tuto video explain how to install two different OS, and explanation about EFI structure , especially the directories Microsoft.001 unclear.
@Terrabyte support => Fast Start disabled using BUI interface each time I install a WinOS.

Yesterday I have spend 4 hours to clear my 3 Drive fully install one Windows on drive 1 (all Apps) with all other disconnected. Then I have reactivated BUI on drive 0, configure it. All works fine and on Drive1 I got one EFI + WinReserved + Win0S . Boot was normal so I have decided to pursue.
Then I have copied Drive 1 to Drive2 and 3 using the BUI Utilities (having Check to change the S/N of the drive)
Then I have configured BUI, each WinOS boot directory and file on its own drive.
At first boot, it crash, all all 3 partitions lost. None able to boot. Very angry.

Today, Full scratch again, but I have kept drive0 connected while installing WinOS on drive1, so only one EFI partition on drive0
Then I have again copied the 2 partitions from Drive1 to drive2 and drive3
Then I have tried to configure the Boot using the unique EFI as source, but I'm unable to save the configuration to hide partition to each other depending the OS I want to boot from (Hide part on drive2 & 3 while booting on drive1) Whatever I configure is reset. :roll:

Conclusion :
Very disappointed about this BUI and Win11, and the money I have spent. I was very happy since 2009 with BMM. Always works fine, no corrupted WinOS. Perfect.

@Support : We really miss a detailed Tutorial when installing several identical OS to help with explanation of what is needed to make it works and why.
EG : it is very unclear about the EFI partition. Do we need one per drive ? Do we need only one, but several EFI\Microsoft.001\* folder ( this point is rapidly discussed on the video but too fast , and unclear)

What shall i do ? Get ride of BUI ? I do expect to make it works with some help but I have no more time to loose trying again and again.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

leyeti77,

When BIU was first released I experimented with multiple ESPs. It was a disaster, as you have experienced.

Disconnecting the BIU drive while installing Windows will cause major issues.

Would you like some suggestions or do you want opinions from other people?
leyeti77

Post by leyeti77 »

Brian K wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:44 am leyeti77,
When BIU was first released I experimented with multiple ESPs. It was a disaster, as you have experienced.
Disconnecting the BIU drive while installing Windows will cause major issues.
Would you like some suggestions or do you want opinions from other people?
Brian, I would like suggestions that works, in order to be able to use BUI like it was with BMM (flawlessly)
I guess this is possible, but we miss a detailed instruction video; ( I do such tutorail in my Cie when I have to explain to managers what I'm waiting from them, and it's always easier for them (and for me) ).
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

leyeti77,

I'm preparing a procedure for you to have 3 Windows OS. One on each drive with the exception of HD0. One question at this stage. What is the size of your ESP partition?

Edit... From your screenshot, the ESP on HD0 is 3.98 GB.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

With BIBM you disconnect HD0 when you install an OS to an alternate drive. You don't do this with BIU.

Boot into BIU. Boot Edit. Delete each item in the Boot Menu. If you are asked about deleting the Boot Files Too, click Yes.
In Partition Work, delete all partitions (with the exception of the MSR) on HD1, HD2 and HD3. Put ticks in Clear Boot Sector. The drives should now be empty, except for the MSR. Keep all drives connected.

Install Win11 to HD1 as per the TeraByte video.
Reactivate BIU.
Disable Fast Start
Rename the Partition Name in Partition Work
Rename the Identity in the Boot Menu Item.
Confirm there is a tick in Rename Directory

Confirm Win11 boots properly from BIU

Partition Work. Don't use Disk Imaging for this. Select the Win11 partition on HD1. Click Copy. Select the Free Space on HD2. Paste. Name the partition.
Put a tick in Add to Boot Menu. This is essential. Click OK. The copy occurs. Then click close.

Boot Edit. Select the new item, Edit, rename the Identity, OK, OK.

Boot Edit, hide each Windows partition from the other.

Restart. Make sure each OS boots properly.

Partition Work. Don't use Disk Imaging for this. Select the Win11 partition on HD1. Click Copy. Select the Free Space on HD3. Paste. Name the partition.
Put a tick in Add to Boot Menu. This is essential. Click OK. The copy occurs. Then click close.

Boot Edit. Select the new item, Edit, rename the Identity, OK, OK.

Boot Edit, hide each Windows partition from the others.

Restart. Make sure each OS boots properly.

I hope I didn't omit any steps. Questions?
Last edited by Brian K on Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leyeti77

Post by leyeti77 »

Thanks Brian, Will keep you informed. 11PM, I just finished to work on my wall.... Probably tomorrow evening I'll try that. Thx
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Good luck. I just made an edit about not deleting the MSR.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

When you install Win11 on HD1, do it into an 80 GB partition. Created during the install as in the video.This makes sure the copied partition will fit on HD2. You can resize the 3 OS later. At your leisure.
leyeti77

Post by leyeti77 »

Brian K wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:44 am When you install Win11 on HD1, do it into an 80 GB partition. Created during the install as in the video.This makes sure the copied partition will fit on HD2. You can resize the 3 OS later. At your leisure.
Thx, I take notice ;)