Two of my 3 partitions are dead today

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
leyeti77

Two of my 3 partitions are dead today

Post by leyeti77 »

Hi folks,
I use bootit for years (may be 10 ) and since I sue BootiCollection Win11 and EFI partition I got several issues
Today, 2 of my partitions are dead, unable to boot (one ask for repair but nothing works, the 2nd don't even shows anything)
Not the 1st time this occurs unfortunately

I do have a particular configuration and may be this is not correctly set
I have 4 SSD drive, and one Win11 partition on 3 of them, the idea is being able to boot even if one drive crash.

Here is the Windows Disk manager view.

Here is the video of my Bootit configuration
NB : Download this file to view the video as it does not launch the video directly (don't know why)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UWL0Ci ... sp=sharing

The way I have installed my partitions was the following : Only the Drive to be installed was plugged in the PC + the Drive0 where the BootIT folder is present (I guess the 4Go partition is the one)
Right now I have two partition to reinstall, and I'm disappointed.
Please have a look and advise me if you see any issue or error in my configuration
PS : Is there any video that explain how to install Win11 on separate Disk Drive, like I'm doing

Thanks
TeraByte Support

Re: Two of my 3 partitions are dead today

Post by TeraByte Support »

Ideally you would have a backup to restore. In general, ensure fast startup is disabled to ensure it's not causing problems.

You can assign a drive letter to them and check the contents of chkdsk /f (after running a memory test first).

Consider using the fixboot.tbs script or osdtool.tbs to disable auto repair and auto reboot so you can see what the bsod would be.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

leyeti77,

Your setup is quite different from mine. I only have one EFI System partition (contains BIU) and I have Windows and Linux OS on several SSDs.

To install an OS, I create a partition (on any drive) and install into that partition. All drives are connected to the motherboard. Microsoft.xxx and Ubuntu.xxx are created in the ESP by default. Rename Directory is selected by default in every Boot Item. A Boot Item is created by default.
leyeti77

Post by leyeti77 »

Brian K wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:07 am leyeti77,

Your setup is quite different from mine. I only have one EFI System partition (contains BIU) and I have Windows and Linux OS on several SSDs.

To install an OS, I create a partition (on any drive) and install into that partition. All drives are connected to the motherboard. Microsoft.xxx and Ubuntu.xxx are created in the ESP by default. Rename Directory is selected by default in every Boot Item. A Boot Item is created by default.
Thanks for this example. Will try it when I will reinstall the two lost partitions (no time this week, probably this week-end)
crashdummyplus

Post by crashdummyplus »

the better solution is to install Win11 then BIU and then clone it to the other drives.

you can still use your working Win11 OS to repair the EFI partitions of the other drives using the Windows CMD and the commands "diskpart" (to mount the EFI sys and the target winOS) and then repair with "bcdboot". should work in any case, because on the ESP is nothing more than a copy from \Windows\boot\ and the BCD store for the MS Windows Boot Manager. if that doesnt work u can delete those 2 partitions and the ESP and clone the OS with BIU.

make sure the other ESP's and the Win11 installs are not hidden! (currently they are) and boot into your working Win11 OS and execute CMD as Admin:

Code: Select all

diskpart
list disk
//...the list of all connected drives appears.. select the drive with "win11 test" on it.
sel disk 1
list part
//...the list of all partitions on the selected drive is displayed. check if the target EFI and OS is present. then continue..
list vol
//...the list of all volumes on all drives is displayed. select the volume with the EFI system on drive 1 if it is this drive... i use "x" for an variable interger
sel vol x
assign letter=b:
list vol
//...now the ESP should be visible with the drive letter B, then look for the win11 volume on the same drive and select it with its number...
sel vol x
assign letter=z:
exit
then back in command prompt type in..

Code: Select all

cd /d b:
//...this changes the directory to B:\ and then execute..
bcdboot z:\Windows /s b: /f UEFI
exit
this copys the boot config including creating the BCD store to the ESP.
make sure u check that the letters B: and Z: are not mounted before!

First try to start it without BIU (change BIOS device boot order and restart).
after windows test boots successfully change order to start BIU drive. now BIU should also be able to start the win test OS. if not go to Boot Menu Item and edit. select the EFI system and the correct boot file. in some cases its possible that a new boot directory was created. just change the file path by navigate to the correct directory and select the correct *.efi file.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Regarding multiple ESPs. From the BIU manual...
Configure any partitions how you want for the boot item. This includes hiding partitions you don’t want the OS to see and loading the MBR for EMBR drives. Important: It is recommended to hide all EFI System partitions except the one that will be used by the OS installation. If this is not done there may be errors or issues during the installation. Examples: The Windows installer will fail with an error and may create extra partitions; A Linux installer may ignore your boot loader destination and install the files to a different EFI System partition.
leyeti77

Post by leyeti77 »

Brian K wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:59 am Regarding multiple ESPs. From the BIU manual...
Configure any partitions how you want for the boot item. This includes hiding partitions you don’t want the OS to see and loading the MBR for EMBR drives. Important: It is recommended to hide all EFI System partitions except the one that will be used by the OS installation. If this is not done there may be errors or issues during the installation. Examples: The Windows installer will fail with an error and may create extra partitions; A Linux installer may ignore your boot loader destination and install the files to a different EFI System partition.
Thx. will reinstall this wk
leyeti77

Post by leyeti77 »

Folks,
I had no time for the PC, as I'm remodeling my house from bottom to top :?
Any way, Having read lots of tuto, I have now some knowledge about ESP, BCD (which were absolute unknown words to me before )

Using a tuto, I have rebuild the EFI and Recovy partition of one WinOS , but same issue. No more success with the 3rd WinOS
So I'm thinking to reinstall the 3 WinOS but before I need some confirmation, as this is the 3rd time I encounter big problems with Win1x and BIU, each time after Windows update. As an example, I had to reinstall two of the 3 WinOS, when the Win11 20H2 had been released, being unable to install it. This time again, after a windows update, during the next boot the 'Auto Repair' has run... and kill my WinOS :evil: .

Please advise if I miss something or if I have a rong statement.
1 - Each WinOS needs it own ESP + Recovery + OS Space, basically all 3 on the same drive.
2 - Using BIU, when Booting on one WinOS, the 2 other Drive have to be completely hidden (ESP + Recovery + OS Partition)
3 - FastBoot (?) have to be deactivated on each WinOS
4 - Best way to reinstall, is to have only one Drive plugged, install BAU, then install BIU on a separate drive (the one with "My Document")
5 - Eventually Clone the two other drive (May I use EaseUS ? )
NB : When cloning is there any driveID issue ? I remember having some weird msg once trying this.

Drive0 : BUI + "My Documents"
Drive1 : ESP + Recovery + Win11Foto
Drive2 : ESP + Recovery + Win11Gaming
Drive3 : ESP + Recovery + Win11Test

Does this seems correct to you ?
Thx
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

Disable fast startup. This applies to all modern Windows version until MS fixes it, which they probably won't. viewtopic.php?t=427
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Regarding installing multiple OS...

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/

BootIt UEFI

Download the video.