Moving to a new NVMe drive

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: Moving to a new NVMe drive

Post by Brian K »

Scott wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:12 am but how do I change the disk GUID after deleting all the partitions on the old drive?
A simple way is to stay in BIU and Change Disk Type to MBR and then Change Disk Type to GPT. The Disk GUID and Disk ID will be changed.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Brian K wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:48 am
Scott wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:12 am but how do I change the disk GUID after deleting all the partitions on the old drive?
A simple way is to stay in BIU and Change Disk Type to MBR and then Change Disk Type to GPT. The Disk GUID and Disk ID will be changed.
I guess I'm to assume that's the best answer. This isn't intuitively obvious. I have a mountain of other things occupying my head, and health issues that prevent me from spending hours figuring out every intricate detail like this. So, thank you.

I can't help but think that there should be a built-in function that does this (i.e. a "Change Disk GUID" button).
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Scott, can I ask why you want to resize your ESP? A 500 MiB ESP is large enough to multi-boot 15 Microsoft OS. If you use Minimum Configuration Microsoft.xxx you could multi-boot 100 Microsoft OS.
Scott

Post by Scott »

As stated, I plan to dual boot Win10 and Linux. I have seen it advised to use a 1GB EFI partition.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Microsoft.xxx is around 29 MiB
Ubuntu.xxx is around 4 MiB

Terabyte Support's recommendation of having a 1 GiB ESP was in relation to having numerous OS multi-booting. The default ESP size when you install BIU is 400 MiB. That's large enough for most situations.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Yeah, I think you are right. I can't remember where I heard the 1GB recommendation, but it wasn't here. Just some of the shit advice one has to sift through. And yeah, they were only talking about Win10/Linux, not a litany of OS installs. I'll keep it as-is at 500MB. Thanks again.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

If you decide next year you would like 50 OS, then you can create a larger ESP. I doubt you will want 50 OS.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

TeraByte Support said...

"Not sure if related, but EFI System partition of 100MB isn't large enough. If you plan on several OS's make it 1024MiB, or if a couple, make it 500MiB"
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I prefer TeraByte's first option as well. Clean and easy.
Scott

Post by Scott »

I finally found time to do this. I went a little off-script and used "Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries" and "Align to Target", but it boots fine on the new NVMe drive, so I assume I didn't do anything too stupid. Thanks.