Add ECC Reed-Solomon Code to Terabyte's product's - been suffering from Bit-Rot

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Mrx

Add ECC Reed-Solomon Code to Terabyte's product's - been suffering from Bit-Rot

Post by Mrx »

Been having trouble with bit-rot on some of my disk's recently, corrupting files.

Been looking at ZFS/BTRFS file system's, and RAID-5 or 6, which probably might be best locally, or using some Solomon Reed-Code ECC local redundancy, but ideally need cross-file-system/platform solution.

I'd also like IFW etc to add ECC configurable support - to help with corrupted file's. I know you can do it afterward's, but it would be quicker to do it during creation.

Any input on reliable backup idea's would help ?
Last edited by Mrx on Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support

Re: Add ECC Ree-Solomen Code to Terabyte's product's - been suffering from Bit-Rot

Post by TeraByte Support »

If you have a drive failing, replace it. If you to ensure bad sectors don't cause issues, RAID-1 or 5+ would be the way to go.
Mrx

Re: Add ECC Reed-Solomon Code to Terabyte's product's - been suffering from Bit-Rot

Post by Mrx »

Out of interest - what happens if one of the drive's in a RAID-1 array suffers from bit-rot - i.e. how does RAID handle it ?
TeraByte Support

Re: Add ECC Reed-Solomon Code to Terabyte's product's - been suffering from Bit-Rot

Post by TeraByte Support »

it's up to the implementer but a drive would detect a error reading sector, try to recover, if it can't report an error, from there the controlling piece can read from the other drive and flag the other one as bad or do whatever it wants, but that would make the most sense. Then you can pop out the bad drive (maybe it has a red LED) and put in a good one where the controlling piece can recreate the mirror (you may have to manually configure it), again, it's however it's implemented.
Mrx

Post by Mrx »

OK, thanks for info.