Move/resize BitLocker partitions without decrypting?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
chileverde

Move/resize BitLocker partitions without decrypting?

Post by chileverde »

Is there any way using TeraByte software to move and resize BitLocker partitions without first decrypting them (and then having to re-encrypt them again afterward)? If not with TeraByte Software, is there any other program you would recommend for this? The only program I have found that does this is published by EaseUS, which appears to be in China. I would like to know if any program published elsewhere can do this.

It this is too risky, it would not kill me to decrypt all 4 partitions first, move and resize them, and then re-encrypt them.
TeraByte Support

Re: Move/resize BitLocker partitions without decrypting?

Post by TeraByte Support »

I think the key is being in Windows decrypted vs not. You can move outside, it would just move all sectors instead of just used sectors. Resizing wouldn't work because of the encryption, if resizing in windows / unencrypted then it works (the layer in between handles it). Not sure how the Linux version is implemented, but you could test via IFL Full GUI version then use dislocker then use partwork and if resize gets to the point allowing you to resize, you should be good. There is a windows version of partwork using same UI as Linux version but it's not ready for public use (I've used it a few times for wiping and other things) - if people think there is a need for it, it could be finished up fairly quickly (although it will have the Linux PartWork look to it). And of course the actual in use partition running windows itself would be limited, some things like basic resizing for (NTFS) are now built-in to windows so that can be done but moving would be a problem.
chileverde

Post by chileverde »

Thanks. Probably safer and simpler for me to just decrypt the partitions in Windows, then use BootIt UEFI to resize and move. I know how to use BootIt UEFI, and I know it works! Would take more time to learn new programs, etc., but I do appreciate your reply. It's some hassle to re-encrypt again and save new recovery codes, but again, I know how to do that.
chileverde

Post by chileverde »

@TeraByte Support,

You mentioned partwork. I cannot find much on your website about it. Looks like a current feature of IFL (which I don't use, because I don't use Linux) for which you are now working on a Windows version. Will it allow one to wipe just a partition? BootIt only allows wiping an entire physical drive. There are times I want to wipe just a partition, so that would be a useful feature. Will partwork be part of a future version of IFW?
TeraByte Support

IFL GUI full version includes partwork (Partition Work you see in BootIt). The delete (partition) has a wipe option.
chileverde

Post by chileverde »

Just checked the manual for BootIt and found the instructions for wiping a partition as part of the delete operation. That's good to know, including that secure wipe is available. There may be times when I want to wipe a partition but not delete it. I guess in that case I should delete with secure wipe and then create the partition all over again.
chileverde

Post by chileverde »

I hope someday IFW will support wiping without deleting a partition. If it does that, I can wipe a BitLocker partition without having to re-encrypt it, which I would have to do when I have to delete it in order to wipe the area.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

chileverde wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:20 pm

... IFL (which I don't use, because I don't use Linux) ...
Maybe off topic and maybe already known, but don't be misled about not using IFL due to not using Linux.

I also don't use Linux, but I do use IFL. It's completely self contained, is sometimes the most convenient and fastest way to restore and has no dependency whatsoever on any other use of Linux.
chileverde

Post by chileverde »

Thanks, Bob, for this information about IFL. I don't think it would work for me, though, because all my partitions are encrypted with BitLocker. So if I am restoring an image of my C: drive, which I need to do occasionally, I have to be able to unlock the C: drive before I can restore the image to it. Just searched to see if that can be done in Linux, and found there is dislocker. I am impressed that there may actually be a way to do this in Linux—but not sure it's worth the time to learn how, as I only have to do this a few times a year.
TeraByte Support

dislocker is on the IFL boot media.