Restore with Image for UEFI - Loosing settings

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Abraham1220

Restore with Image for UEFI - Loosing settings

Post by Abraham1220 »

Hi!

I am currently evaluating BootIt UEFI together with Image for UEFI.

I have installed BootIt UEFI and one Windows 10 system from USB on a SSD drive. Afterwards I cloned the Windows 10 system to a new partition on the same SSD and adjusted the BCDEDIT entries accordingly in folder "Microsoft.002". Booting into both systems works fine.

When I now restore one windows installation using Image for UEFI, following settings getting lost (although I keep the same volume name during restore process):
  1. Bit settings and Hide setting in Bootmenu Items which refer to the restored partition
  2. BCDEDIT entries for device and osdevice have lost the link to the windows partition
To update the entries after each restore of an image manually is very annoying. Do I do something wrong? Or how can I improve the situations?

Thanks for your help.
TeraByte Support

Re: Restore with Image for UEFI - Loosing settings

Post by TeraByte Support »

when restoring the individual partition, use the "update boot partition" option. If the GUIDs are different there is an option to keep it the same when overwriting as well, but it sounds like you've backed up each on their own so you shouldn't have to handle that.
Abraham1220

Post by Abraham1220 »

Hi!

The option "update boot partition" is not bringing the proper result.

Maybe I describe my scenario in more detail. I would like to have one MASTER windows installation on (let's say partition 3) and will copy this MASTER to two additional partitions (TEST 1 to partition 4 and TEST 2 to partition 5). Each of the three installations / partitions should get an individual partition GUID. I would then like to setup BootIT UEFI config and BCDEDIT items properly to work.

When I later change my MASTER and replicate it to my TEST installations, the already set GUID of each partition should be kept. So far I didn't find any option that achives this. The GUID is always changed on the restored partition to a newly generated value.

My investigation now spotted to use a TBOSDT script which executes a "set part id" command to restore back to old GUID. As the evaluation version I am using is not including this functionality, it's for the moment only a theory.

So my questions are. Is there any option in the restore process to keep the GUID of the target partition and don't overwrite it with the value of the image or newly created one? When there doesn't exist any option, would the idea with my script work?

Thanks.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

The global option is /utg (UseTargetGUID=1 in the .ini file under [options]).

In your case, it sounds like you wouldn't want to use update boot partition as it wouldn't be able to find the item to change anyway since the item being restored doesn't reflect what is on the drive.
Abraham1220

Post by Abraham1220 »

Thanks for this "hidden" feature outside the GUI. This is exactly what I seeked. I set the global parameter and when I want to overrule this, I use the GUI setting item "Change GUID".

Ready to buy the product now.