Very Slow Imaging on Dell - Solved

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Mike

Very Slow Imaging on Dell - Solved

Post by Mike »

While I've used IFL successfully for years, things are not going so well lately. At the moment, I'm trying to image a 240GB SSD with Windows 10. It is being imaged to another SSD on an i7 computer with 16GB RAM. The copying is very slow. It is predicted to end in 3 hours 19 minutes, and the Time Remaining is continuing to go up. The MiB Processed is increased, albeit is slowly. It looks like I'll have to let it run overnight.

Is it possible that the drive being imaged is UEFI? Should I stop IFL and start Image for UEFI? As an alternative, I wonder if the source drive is bad. The computer it is in boots and works, but the drive is full of data.

Thanks for your input.
TeraByte Support

Re: Very Slow Imaging

Post by TeraByte Support »

common if a drive has bad sectors even if not reported (may be recoverable). Also you can use details/information of the partitions to ensure it shows free/used space, if not, it's doing it raw which is a larger size.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Mike wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:14 am Is it possible that the drive being imaged is UEFI? Should I stop IFL and start Image for UEFI?
I think technically the question would be "Is it possible that the drive being imaged is GPT. Shouldn't matter. IFL should handle it. Probably mage for UEFI would also, but in all likelihood would be slower yet. I don't claim to really understand why, but it's pretty well known based on experience that IFL is the fastest of the imaging programs.
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

I find this is true for a drive encrypted with BitLocker. To back up these drives, I go into the BIOS setup and turn off Secure boot and change the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI. Then I do the backup with the "Read from Volume" option. Don't know if this would translate for you into IFL, but this works for me.
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

I'm also experiencing this issue of slowness on new Dell Latitudes with WD NVMe drives using IFW. Weird. In the past on Dell desktops also using NVMe drives the whole process would take under 8 min. Now, with these Dell Latitudes, no data on them, cloning them took over 2 hours. Of course, what wa said above may be what I'm experiencing here also because I have three out of 10 of these new laptops corrupted, and Dell's OS Recovery Environment found partition errors but can't fix them, LMAOOOO!!🤣 All I did was setup one master laptop, updated windows, then used IFW to clone the .tbi file to (so far) two other laptops. After the 2 hours it boots up fine, but all of a sudden, ON ALL THREE LAPTOPS MIND YOU - So even the ORIGINAL, the Intel wifi adaptor is non existent. It won't show up in Windows, and if it does, it shows itself for maybe a minute then disappears; clicking on the tray icon says no connections available. You go into control panel, no wifi icon, only Ethernert, and bluetooth. WTF? 🤣

Updating the Dell driver didn't fix it either. I thought maybe Deep Freeze corrupted something because I will admit when performing the original backup, I forgot to Set the Clone Flag when creating the backup image. Okay so if that's the issue, let me start all over from the beginning, right? No, can't do that, because it's impossible now to use a USB flash drive with a stock image of Windows 10 on these newer UEFI enabled BIOS' on a Dell machine. IMPOSSIBLE. The BIOS refuses to even acknowledge the USB stick inserted. Turning Secure Boot, on or off, etc etc, does NOTHING. I don't know what the trick is to do a clean install on my own, other than using the Dell OS Recovery Tool --- which also doesn't work because guess what, in order to reinstall the Windows OS, it has to connect over the internet via wifi but it can't because THE WIFI ADAPTOR IS BROKEN!!! LMAOOOO.🤣

That's besides the point..... Anyway, on an unrelated note, why can't I delete .TBi images from my external WD drive (it tells me I need permissions from SYSTEM to delete the images) and I am running my windows account as an Administrator??? 😢

Philip
TAC109

Post by TAC109 »

fairlane32 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:56 pm
That's besides the point..... Anyway, on an unrelated note, why can't I delete .TBi images from my external WD drive (it tells me I need permissions from SYSTEM to delete the images) and I am running my windows account as an Administrator??? 😢

Philip
Search the knowledge base for 'Protectit'.
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

One of my Dell laptops will run like molasses if I use the USB/Firewire port on the left side but normally if I use the straight USB port on the right side.
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

PsychBiller wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:09 am One of my Dell laptops will run like molasses if I use the USB/Firewire port on the left side but normally if I use the straight USB port on the right side.
That's interesting... I wonder why, shouldn't the bus bandwidth be identical? Why would a side port be slower than a back port, that's weird. I'll try that because I'm' still having the slow issue of backing up an image that's taking over 45 minutes to perform and I have the IFW usb stick on that side port and my external Western Digital HD on a back port and it's also slow as molasses - whereas in the past, on older Dells, the operations would take like 8 min. Same basic Dell Optiplexes, same hard drive sizes; it's ridiculous.
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

PsychBiller wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:09 am One of my Dell laptops will run like molasses if I use the USB/Firewire port on the left side but normally if I use the straight USB port on the right side.
Thanks for the info PsycBiller, that fixed it. Putting the IFW drive and the external hard drives both on the back ports made it go super fast. I don't get why that side usb port would be so much slower than the ones at the back? Different chip being used?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Both USB 3?