Can You Use VeraCrypt with BIBM Win 7 x64 multiboot.

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
plain

Can You Use VeraCrypt with BIBM Win 7 x64 multiboot.

Post by plain »

I would like to start encrypting my partitions but the only references I see for VeraCrypt are for IFL and I use IFD in BIBM. Is it possible to use VeraCrypt with Image For DOS? I saw a link for VeraCrypt but it no longer goes to information so any help is appreciated. I think the best of all worlds would be a PE in the BIBM partition that could include VeraCrypt if one was inclined and Image For DOS would be able to work with it. This is a CSM MBR Disk.
dnlathrop

Re: Can You Use VeraCrypt with BIBM Win 7 x64 multiboot.

Post by dnlathrop »

plain,

Since no one else has replied, I will jump into this discussion with my thoughts. If I write anything amiss I expect someone will be willing, perhaps eager, to correct me.

I do not know the answer to your question but it seems to me BIBM can do what you want. I’ve always thought of the boot-it products as being more or less agnostic toward whatever is being booted. They simply set up files and transfer machine execution to those files, allowing the boot to continue as if they never interceded. So, if you can set up a bootable object that uses VeraCrypt and your machine can boot it, then inserting BIBM into that process should not cause any problems.

That’s my theory. But there is nothing like knowing for sure. Can you install a small test system on your machine and try it? That should tell you what you need to know.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Can You Use VeraCrypt with BIBM Win 7 x64 multiboot.

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It would depend on which type of encryption you used. Encryption that requires pre-boot authentication on the same drive as BIBM wouldn't work, for example. Note that using encryption greatly complicates booting and imaging (and other things), even for a single OS system. Unless you are planning on encrypting only data partitions for the operating systems, it's not something I would recommend. Make sure you have current full backups of all involved drives prior to testing any scenarios.

Here is the link to the VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt KB article:
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... -programs/

As for IFD, it will only see the encrypted partitions in the encrypted state and have the limitations that go along with that.