TBIView "Insert media 2 containing file"

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
PsychBiller

TBIView "Insert media 2 containing file"

Post by PsychBiller »

There are many posts on this board about this error message, all relating to security.

I followed the command line instructions in https://kb.terabyteunlimited.com/kb-art ... -or-later/ to take ownership of the TBI file and grant permissions to full, but it didn't help.

I have several TBI files that were on a NAS. I copied them to an external hard drive so I could blow away the NAS and rebuild it. I couldn't open the files while residing on the external hard drive. I copied them to my local hard drive and used takeown and icacls as instructed in the TeraByte document. Very puzzled why TBIView still can't open them!

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 21H1.
TeraByte Support

Re: TBIView "Insert media 2 containing file"

Post by TeraByte Support »

Does the file its asking for actually exist? Can you validate the backup in the image program?
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

The TBI files are single files. There is no file 1, file 2, etc. so I suppose the answer is no, the file doesn't exist. IFW returns the same error as TBIView. Every TBI file I have is behaving this way. The errors all have this format:

Insert media 2 containing file
C:\Users\Jean\AppData\Local\Temp\[filename\.TBI.1

I have put the TBI files in the temp directory for testing. None of the files has .[n] appended to the name.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Did the .1, .2, etc. files exist on the NAS and just didn't get copied to the external?

Are all the .TBI files the same size? For example, all 2GB or 4GB. If so, then likely split images and would have all had those files.
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

There are no .1, .2 .3 files. All the TBI files are single files. They have varying sizes and names, all ending in simply .TBI. I never split my files—no need to in my environment. TBIView and IFW are mistakenly thinking there are multiple files, or the security problem is much more subtle than we understand.

I can reproduce this using IFW 3.49 and 3.50 and TBIView 4.55 on two different machines.

I can supply a TBI file to support for analysis that doesn't contain any personal information.
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

Please disregard this thread. I was working with files recovered from a drive, and to my great embarrassment, have just discovered that the TBI files have a zero length. So, programs quite correctly reported them as invalid. My apologies for wasting your time.