/boottbwr for automated restores

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Mr.X

Re: /boottbwr for automated restores

Post by Mr.X »

TeraByte Support wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:56 pm
Mr.X wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:24 pm Nevertheless, Terabyte needs to implement a solution via GUI. A message and/or button offering to create after installing IFW for the first time.
If a user clicks No, then another way to create wimre.wim via GUI should be available.
Terabyte must make that solution via GUI available for anyone.
You don't have to do anything, it's all automatic. Only if updates occurred will it take an extra bit of time to rebuild what it needs to rebuild.
Agreed. But please read this post onwards:
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... st-3055917
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Mr.X wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:09 pm Agreed. But please read this post onwards:
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... st-3055917
I have the same situation discussed in the referenced thread: no separate RE partition. If my recollection is correct I once followed some instructions in the Terabyte knowledge to consolidate the main OS partition and RE partition. I don't recall why. Probably it just seemed more tidy to only have one "OS partition". I also initially couldn't see how this automated restore could work in any useful way, but had eventually suspected before seeing the referenced thread that that was because I had no RE partition.

I don't know if it would be possible to de-couple the partitions or not, but I also don't know that it would be worth the effort. This new automatic restore of the system partition is interesting in an academic sense, but I'm not sure that, for me, it's a great advantage over booting IFL from my hard disk to do the partition restore.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

Bob Coleman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:03 am Probably it just seemed more tidy to only have one "OS partition".
I like tidy. If i'm working on a BIOS /MBR disk scenario, I like just one partition.
Bob Coleman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:03 am This new automatic restore of the system partition is interesting in an academic sense, but I'm not sure that, for me, it's a great advantage over booting IFL from my hard disk to do the partition restore.
Imagine this scenario: someone at your office/home calls you telling the machine is acting strange and can't fix it, and you're physically distant from it. Then you connect remotely and you can't seem to fix it either, you decide to restore a working image to solve the issue as soon as possible. Automated restore comes into play.
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

How would you go about auto-restoring using this method if your image files have passwords? It doesn't seem to remember the passwords I entered when I was still in Windows, before rebooting into tbwinre, and is not really automated if it asks me to enter it.
Last edited by n8chavez on Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

it handles the password but for network shares you have to enter it (it doesn't pass along network share passwords), passwords are only obfuscated.
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

TeraByte Support wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:16 pm it handles the password but for network shares you have to enter it (it doesn't pass along network share passwords), passwords are only obfuscated.
Really? How? I'm prompted to enter a password every time, even for non-network shares.
TeraByte Support

You'd be prompted when your in the UI before the reboot. If you don't want to use the UI, you can use the /bootwim method instead to launch whatever operation you wanted.
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

TeraByte Support wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:55 am You'd be prompted when your in the UI before the reboot. If you don't want to use the UI, you can use the /bootwim method instead to launch whatever operation you wanted.
I know that. I am prompted before the reboot. But I'm also prompted after the reboot as well, once I'm in tbwinre. It's like IFW is not able to remember what I entered prior to booting into tbwinre.
TeraByte Support

Bizarre but confirmed, the code section must have been moved after the password testing (which was done for sure) but before commits. Anyway, will be fixed in 3.50.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

Following this new feature, could you add it for backup operations too?
Sometimes I need a reboot instead of using VSS or Phylock.