Restore an MBR to a GPT partition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
RFSndrs

Re: Restore an MBR to a GPT partition

Post by RFSndrs »

Yes on both items.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

yes to both questions.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Yes, they were.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Thanks. So after the conversion did you change the BIOS to enable UEFI booting and then you installed BIU? Did you have a Boot Item for Win10?

There was only one HD in the system?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob, I just realised I don't understand what you did. There was no need to image or restore the partitions. Why was that done?

Did the OS boot prior to imaging?
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

I have 2 Windows partition I use. One has Family Tree Maker and Photoshop Elements which I use occasionally. The second has TaxACT to do my taxes. To convert them I restored the MBR partition to another drive that had MBR and BIBM on it. I changed from MBR to GPT using gdisk which is on GParted Live using terminal not the Gparted GUI. I then booted into a Win10.iso and used cmd to create an EFI partition. Then I installed BIU to the drive. It booted into Windows and then I went back in BIU and imaged it to my "Image" drive. I erased that drive went back to MBR and restored my second Windows partition and repeated the same steps. Then I went to my "sacred" drive and erased it and installed GPT and BIU using the BIU flash. I booted into BIU on my "sacred" drive and restored my 1st Windows EFI partition. It wouldn't boot. I got the "no operating system" message. I tried to change the boot drive in BIU but it said it couldn't mount the partition. I then tried to restore all of the MBR partitions on my "sacred" drive and now having problems with Ubuntu and grub. So i'm at a position with no drives working. I am using my laptop now to answer this.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Sorry I answered you three times above. I didn't realize I had gone to a second page and thought it wasn't posting for some reason. Thanks for you help.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Can you restore your MBR system? You don't seem to have followed the TeraByte tutorial so I can't comment on the result.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Yes, I just got done restoring my "sacred" drive. It happens to be a Samsung 1TB SSD. It is now restored and booting all OS's.