Running Fix Boot in an automated manner

User discussion and information resource forum for the TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite.
nemesis

Running Fix Boot in an automated manner

Post by nemesis »

Hi,

is there a way to run the fixboot.tbs without user interaction? I see you can run it from osdtool. However the manual does not contain an example of the answer file options for this.

Regards,

Davy
Eric

Re: Running Fix Boot in an automated manner

Post by Eric »

True, it is called by osdtool, but it is semi-automatic since fixboot still ask for user to confirm, for the disk where install the boot configuration, for the partition, for some options...
There is not a complete automatic mode.
Also, it cannot be called by osdtool under the automatic mode. It is only available with user interaction.
What do you want to accomplish? Why running it automatically?
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Hi Eric,

I'm creating a system with a closed eco system. The ecosystem will contain an installer and cloning facility. All functionality is scripted the user chooses the use case and the use case is executed.

The system supports a configurable number of guest Windows 10 partitions which after creation are accessable from BootIT through a custom menu.

For this to work I'll have to create the BCD's and such on the WBM partition (not the EFI System partition due to Windows being a b*****).

I'm currently in the process of writing the BCD creation myself, however it's a pain I would've prefered to be avoided!

Regards,

Davy
Eric

Post by Eric »

Fixboot can create a BCD from scratch, but only on the active partition (EFI System for GPT disk, or the active, or the system for EMBR, depending on what the user chooses). We would have to create something else.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Hi Eric,

yeah but that (creation on EFI system) wouldn't a problem though. I can just move it afterwards.

It's a shame the fixboot.tbs is closed source. I could've updated it to be run in an automated fashion and shared the results. Or at the very least use it as an example code base to create my own variations.

I'll pickup the code to create the BCD (using BCDEdit) later today. The only thing I'm still confused on is how to determine what the resumeobject GUIDs are.

Regards, Davy