How to install 2nd copy Win10

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Logman

How to install 2nd copy Win10

Post by Logman »

Is there any article on how to install a second copy of Win10 to a HD?

I am using MBR Legacy mode with unlimited primaries, and currently have WIN10, LInux 19 & 20, Ubuntu 19 & 20 and BIBM on a Nvme M2 drive.

I would remove 2 of the partitions next to Win10 to make room for a fresh install of Win10 which I want to set up as a DAW if possible.
Logman

Re: How to install 2nd copy Win10

Post by Logman »

I was really hoping to get a reply, as I'm having no luck trying to do this.
It's probably something simple, but so far I haven't figured it out.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

This KB article has some info on it (https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=494), but the general procedure is below:

1. Boot into BIBM.
2. Create a primary NTFS partition for the new Windows.
3. Create a boot menu item for the new Windows. Configure it to boot the new partition. You may also need/want to load the other three partition table slots so Windows can't create any extra partitions (System Reserved, etc.). For example, you could load three Linux partitions or BIBM and two Linux partitions (or create three very small dummy partitions and use those).
4. Return to the BIBM boot menu and attempt to boot the new item (or do a simulated boot) to get the partition table loaded and the partition set active.
5. Boot to the Windows installation media (makes sure to boot it in Legacy mode). I usually just reboot and select it from the BIOS boot menu, but you can use whichever method you prefer. The Windows installer should show the partitions on the drive. Select the one for the installation and install.

Otherwise, can you provide more details on what issue(s) you're having?
Logman

Post by Logman »

Thanks for the reply Paul, much appreciated!
Item # 3 , loading the 3 partition table slots was my problem as now I FINALLY have a 2nd copy of Win10 that can be dedicated for DAW use.
It was a simple thing ( as I suspected ) and my brain needed to be nudged, so thanks again.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Just out of curiosity, what is DAW?
Logman

Post by Logman »

Digital Audio Workstation.

Used solely for recording audio.