Dual Boot system from two existing images?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
timg11

Dual Boot system from two existing images?

Post by timg11 »

I need to create a dual-boot system Windows / Ubuntu. I have images of these systems from a 256G SSD
I have the Ubuntu and Windows systems running on identical Dell notebooks with the same 256G SSD
Each system uses < 30% of the space on the drive so they can both easily fit.

What is the guidance on the "best" approach and order for doing this?

Option1: start with a windows system, shrink partition, restore Linux image to new partition unused space (using compact), install BIBM and get multi-boot menus working?

Option2: start with a Linux system, shrink partition, restore Windows to new partition unused space (using compact), install BIBM and get multi-boot menus working?

Option3: boot to BIBM, delete all partitions, install BIBM and menus. Boot back into Partition Work, create Linux partition restore with Compact, create Windows Partition, restore with compact.

There are probably other ways, but these are the ones that come to mind. The issue is that both Linux and Windows try to "take over" booting, so installing the BIBM multi-boot environment is tricky as to when it is best done. The KBs on the subject are of varying vintage, and are unclear on some points.
timg11

Re: Dual Boot system from two existing images?

Post by timg11 »

I started along the path of Option 2, using Partition work to re-size Linux. This rendered it unbootable, but I found the process for running fsck manually from the busybox command. That got it running again.

I'll continue along option 2 unless someone has a reason to try a different option.

While I'm at it, I'd also like to make IFL one of the boot options so that makes it triple-boot. Last time I tried this I ran into some challenges <viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3567> and ended up using GRUB instead of BIBM. Any suggestions for the the most up-to-date KB to describe how to do this?
Brian K

Re: Dual Boot system from two existing images?

Post by Brian K »

timg11,

After you install BIBM I suspect Linux won't boot because grub isn't in the Linux partition. You will need to fix this.