Merging partitions

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
alfred

Merging partitions

Post by alfred »

Is it possible to combine 2 partitions to one long Partiton in BUI or with the help of the collection? Where to find the instruction?
Brian K

Re: Merging partitions

Post by Brian K »

alfred,

Two data partitions. Create an image backup of the second partition. Delete the second partition. Resize the first partition to take up the free space. Use tbiview/tbimount to copy the data from the image into the new resized partition.
alfred

Post by alfred »

Hi Brian,

where can I find tbiview/tbimount ?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

It's part of IFW and it can be downloaded separately from the TeraByte Unlimited web site.
alfred

Post by alfred »

Hi Brian,

to be secure I understood you correctly,

Brian K wrote:
> alfred,
>
> Two data partitions. Create an image backup of the second partition.

I have to do this within a started win10 with IFW?

Delete the second
> partition.

I have to do this in Partition Work in UEFI?

Resize the first partition to take up the free space.

I have to do this in Partition Work in UEFI?

Use tbiview/tbimount
> to copy the data from the image into the new resized partition.

I have to do this in a started Win10 with IFW?

Is this correct? IFW has to be installed in a started win10 partition to the OP and cannot be managed by a stick? Or is this possible?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

alfred wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> to be secure I understood you correctly,
>
>
> Brian K wrote:
> > alfred,
> >
> > Two data partitions. Create an image backup of the second partition.
>
> I have to do this within a started win10 with IFW?

That's one way. You could use Disk Imaging in BIU.

>
>
> Delete the second
> > partition.
>
> I have to do this in Partition Work in UEFI?

Probably the best way.

>
> Resize the first partition to take up the free space.
>
> I have to do this in Partition Work in UEFI?

Yes.

>
> Use tbiview/tbimount
> > to copy the data from the image into the new resized partition.
>
> I have to do this in a started Win10 with IFW?

You do need to do it in a started Windows, presumably Win10 here. Tbiview/Tbimount come with IFW and can be installed while installing IFW, but they run as separate applications and can be obtained at
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downl ... indows.htm . See under Related Components.

It sounds like you may not have IFW installed and may not want to install it. If that's the case

Create the backup of the second partition with Disk Imaging in BIU.
Delete the second partition with Partition Work in BIU.
Resize the first partition using Partition Work in BIU.
Copy the data from the image of the second partition into the resized first partition using TBIVview or TBIMount. I prefer TBIMount.

You open the image file with TBIMount. You will see all the files withing the image and can copy them to the resized partition.

You will have to install TBIView/TBIMount, but not IFW if you don't want to. The only thing here that IFW might be used for is creating the image of the original second partition.

>
> Is this correct? IFW has to be installed in a started win10 partition to the OP and
> cannot be managed by a stick? Or is this possible?
ViggenAJ37

Post by ViggenAJ37 »

Okay, thanks, I've got IFW installed, I'll give it a try as it seems simple enough!
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

Be aware that all of the above will not change program links, showtcuts, and system operation. Internal links to the moved items will be lost.
System links, and shortcuts may no longer point to programs. Programs may no longer point to their required files or personal data files.
Registry entries, shortcuts, program .ini files, internal program data pointers and configuration files will need to be changed to be completely transparent to the merge.
External utilities are available to help this type operation. EASEUS even has utilities to copy entire 32 bit systems to 64 bit systems .

If your just merging an empty partition space to make room to enlarge the other partition, ignore all I said above and delete the empty the empty partition, and use bibm partwork to slide all the partitions around and make the desired partition larger.
ViggenAJ37

Post by ViggenAJ37 »

I did give it a try and it worked fine, thanks again! And I can do without the shortcuts anyways.