How to split a .tbi file ?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
paul_6

How to split a .tbi file ?

Post by paul_6 »

Hi,
Splitting a .tbi file (+- 6GB) in 2 files so that I can copy them on a FAT32 medium >>possible? (and of course the 2 files should be recognized by IFDos).
Thanks
Paul Brussels Belgium
TeraByte Support

Re: How to split a .tbi file ?

Post by TeraByte Support »

Hello,

One way is to use tbosdt's copy command with the /tm option. Make
whatever size you choose a multiple of 4096 (and you can't use 4GiB
itself, needs to be 4GiB - 4096). I mean you could use odd values, but
there is an expected alignment.

in tbosdt use "help copy file" for the command line.

On 5/7/2020 8:17 AM, paul_6 wrote:
> Hi,
> Splitting a .tbi file (+- 6GB) in 2 files so that I can copy them on a FAT32 medium >>possible? (and of course the 2 files should be recognized by IFDos).
> Thanks
> Paul Brussels Belgium
>
>

paul_6

Post by paul_6 »

thanks, but not very easy for me...Haven't you got an easier way??
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Probably not a big help right now, but note that the backup can be originally created in multiple files of a maximum size each. It's been a long time since I've done this, but as far as I can currently determine there is no way to do this in the GUI. Command line arguments or ini file values seem to be required. See MaxFileSize and/or "maximum file size" in the IFW manual.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

There is a backup option in the GUI/CUI you can use to specify the max file size value (File Size).

You can also use the Consolidate option on the existing .tbi file and specify a max file size value to split the new (consolidated) backup how you want.
paul_6

Post by paul_6 »

Thanks...
As you have understood the backup is already done on an old machine (year 2004, with IFW 2.53...). I can boot with a floppy and IFD. It seems that Fat32 flash keys can be recognized. Machine cannot boot IFL on a flash key. DVD reader is dead. There is still a CD reader and then IFL boots (hoping that IFL could deal with NTFS flash keys). But -at the end of the IFL boot- I get an error message: 'Input signal out of range'.
I can run tbosdtw64.exe on my present computer. Could you give me the exact command line I should use with the copy command?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

If you have V3, I think it would be easier to use that (could boot IFD and do the consolidate operation).

For the TBOSDT method, you'll need the current version. The command line would be something like this for 2GiB splits:
copy sourcebackup.tbi splitbackup.tbi /tm=2147483648

If you need to use drive letters and paths, here's another example:
copy "d:\backups\source backup.tbi" "f:\old computer\split backup.tbi" /tm=2147483648

You would also want to validate the split backup afterwards to make sure it can be read properly.

If the old computer is really a pain and not working, taking the drive out and connecting it via a USB dock to a working system might make things easier.
paul_6

Post by paul_6 »

Thanks I am going to try all your tips..