Overwriting Partitions

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Mike

Overwriting Partitions

Post by Mike »

I've been using IFL for many years. This morning, I wanted to do something I don't think I've done before, but I stopped before I created a problem. Here's the situation.

I have a hard drive, drive one, with a 500GB partition and a 1.5TB partition, both NTFS. There is a data drive, drive two, that is 1TB NTFS. I used IFL to image the 1TB drive and to image the 500GB partition to an external USB drive. Next, I loaded the image for the 1TB drive, drive two, to restore it to the 1.5TB partition on drive one. When I got to the final steps, IFL warned me that it would destroy the partitions (plural) on drive one if I proceed with the restore. The destination drive, drive one, showed to partitions. The first partition (500GB) was highlighted. I used the arrow keys to highlight the second partition on drive one, but IFL still warned that it would erase the partitions.

How do I restore the image of the full drive two (1TB) to partition two (1.5TB) on drive one without destroying the first partition (500GB) on drive one?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Overwriting Partitions

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Make sure you're using Normal mode and not Simple Operations mode (I assume Normal mode is being used since you say you also created an image of just the 500GB partition). When selecting what to restore make sure only the 1TB partition is selected/checked (not the entire drive). Then, when selecting where to restore it, select the 1.5TB partition. You should get an overwrite prompt for that single partition.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I must not be using the Normal mode. How do I make sure I do that?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Mike wrote:
> I must not be using the Normal mode. How do I make sure I do that?

I guess Paul means when you select Restore in IFL, the next screen should give you a choice between Automatic and Normal. (At least from memory, I think it's the next screen).
TeraByte Support(PP)

Mike wrote:
> I must not be using the Normal mode. How do I make sure I do that?

When you start IFL, go into Settings and make sure the "Simple Operations" option is disabled/unchecked. An example of the settings screen for the GUI version is on page 43 of the manual.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:53:51 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
TeraByte Support(PP) disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Make sure you're using Normal mode and not Simple Operations mode

I never feel comfortable at all with software making decisions for me.
That is why I never use any simple or automatic mode anywhere. Once
you rely on that, a FUBAR is just around the corner.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ok, I saw the option and changed it. Whatever I did worked, but I certainly don't know enough to be comfortable changing any of the default options. IFL has worked well for me for years. There's just too much in the manual that I don't understand. Thanks for the manual page reference.
TeraByte Support(PP)

When you create the IFL boot media with MakeDisk you would select either the "Traditional … (Default)" or "Traditional … (Custom)" option to build it with Simple Operations mode disabled by default (page 16 & 17 in manual). However, regardless of which mode was used to create it you can always change it in settings after booting.