Restoring images to fix Windows 10

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
fairlane32

Re: Restoring images to fix Windows 10

Post by fairlane32 »

Hi Brian,
The three pics are:

LiteOn: This is what the F12 bios screen shows under Device Configuration.

F12: This is what the pc says it sees.

Recovery: This is what happens when I try to boot under Legacy Mode from my Windows 10 boot drive.

A friend told me it looks like Dell is forcing us to use Secure Boot under UEFI (the bios warns anyone trying to boot from Legacy mode that under this mode, NVMe, SSD, etc, will not be able to boot from.) Since the orignal pc (a slightly older Dell model) was created and cloned to other similar models using Legacy boot mode, I can't create an image under that mode and lay it down on one of these newer Dell Optiplexes 7460's. I image would have had to be made using UEFI. The NVMe's in the newer Dell's won't accept it because it's not a verified image. So I'm going to have to take a brand new Dell, still in the box, set it up the way I need it to, (with Office, Pharos, etc) and then make an imaged copy, and put the latest edition of Deep Freeze on it, and lay them down on the remaining Dell's. Or create the image without DF installed, then after the images are copied, then install DF.

My Windows boot disk, when I have the 7460 boot under Legacy mode, it actually boots the image the internal NVMe has on it. It doesn't boot into the Windows boot screen, so I can't even wipe out what's on the internal drive if I wanted to. I'm guessing, after I create the new UEFI image then the other two faulty pc's should accept the image.

Philip
Attachments
LiteOn.jpg
LiteOn.jpg (67.4 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
Recovery.jpg
Recovery.jpg (92.16 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
F12.jpg
F12.jpg (76.76 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

fairlane32,

That's strange as your F12 screenshot doesn't show a Boot Menu.
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

Brian K wrote:
> fairlane32,
>
> That's strange as your F12 screenshot doesn't show a Boot Menu.

Brian,
After speaking with a few people, they think part of my issue is one, i burned my Windows .ISO using Rufus using the MBR partition scheme and not the GPT scheme (honestly it's been so long I don't remember :oops: ) so they advised that because my original pc that I want to pull the image from was done in legacy mode, it won't be able to be laid down on a new target pc from dell because of UEFI. So I am almost finished setting up manually one of those new Dell PC's and after I have everything set up and installed the way I want to, I will then use IFW to back up the image and try to lay it down on an identical Dell. Incidentally, when I made the IFW recovery disk on a USB I just did it with the system defaults, is there some special UEFI version that I also need to create, similar to my Windows .iso? Should I have used the Create UEFI boot disk function and use that, instead of the IFW-Create Recovery Boot Disk, which I used originally?

Thanks,
Philip
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

What I don't like about IFW, is it doesn't ask you to name the image you're creating. If you have more than one image on an external hard drive, how do you tell which one you need to restore? :?:
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

Also, what's the difference between Backup and Copy, at the IFW start screen? :?:
Eric

Post by Eric »

For sure it asks for the name of the backup to create. Why do you say so?
"Backup" means create a file image of a partition or disk.
"Copy" means copy directly a partition to another one (or a full disk...). It't like backup + restore, but without doing an image file.
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

Eric wrote:
> For sure it asks for the name of the backup to create. Why do you say so?
> "Backup" means create a file image of a partition or disk.
> "Copy" means copy directly a partition to another one (or a full disk...). It't like
> backup + restore, but without doing an image file.

I just used it this afternoon, and there is no place that I can see, to input a name for the image I'm about to backup. Show me where exactly, in a screenshot where this is, because I'm missing it completely :?

Incidentally, my efforts were successful; IFW backed up the dell's disk and restored it onto one of the 'corrupted' Dell's and it booted up just fine :D :D
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

Simple mode won't ask for a name, traditional mode will. Option for
"Simple Operations" is in settings. First option.

On 2/10/2020 3:47 PM, fairlane32 wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>> For sure it asks for the name of the backup to create. Why do you say so?
>> "Backup" means create a file image of a partition or disk.
>> "Copy" means copy directly a partition to another one (or a full disk...). It't like
>> backup + restore, but without doing an image file.
>
> I just used it this afternoon, and there is no place that I can see, to input a name for the image I'm about to backup. Show me where exactly, in a screenshot where this is, because I'm missing it completely