Restoring an image with IFL - wear leveling and TRIM

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Peabody

Restoring an image with IFL - wear leveling and TRIM

Post by Peabody »

I've settled on making and restoring C: partition images on my Windows 10 computer using the IFL thumb drive. The computer has an SSD. I'm having trouble understanding in what state an image restore would leave the drive with repect to wear leveling, erased blocks, and TRIM. Assuming the restored image is at least to some extent different from the state of the drive before the restore, a restore would leave some blocks no longer being used, but it's not clear how the drive would ever be told they are no longer valid and should be erased. It seems you would have to TRIM the entire partition as invalid before restoring the image so the drive would eventually erase everything not written by the restore. Does IFL do that, or something like that? Can someone clarify how this all works with SSDs? Also, should I be using the RE thumb drive instead of IFL to have this work right, or does it not matter?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Restoring an image with IFL - wear leveling and TRIM

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You can use the "Unmap/Trim Target Area" option when restoring if you want TRIM used. If TRIM isn't used and you're restoring over the source partition(s), you can use the "Write Changed Sectors Only" option if you want to limit unnecessary writing. Both options must be supported by the drive and the system. You can use either IFL or TBWinRE.
Peabody

Post by Peabody »

In the Unmap/Trim Target Area option, what is the target area? Is it the entire partition being restored? It seems it would have to be.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It's the area being restored. Could be partition, entire drive, etc. If supported, you can also use Partition Work to TRIM partitions or unallocated areas (from IFL GUI, for example).