Windows 98se problem

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Planetdune

Windows 98se problem

Post by Planetdune »

Hello

I am slowly going crazy. Everytime I install win98se it, after installation, boots straight to "it is now safe to shut down your computer". It never fully boots once. I can boot in safe mode and if I enable the option "Force compatibilty mode disk access" in the msconfig/advanced it does boot normal but naturally everything is slow in this mode.

Now the things that make me go insane:

IT WORKED BEFORE... I was in the middle of a Win3.1, 95, 98se, 2000, ME multiboot creation when I suddenly encountered the issue. Ever since it does this..

Also. When I wipe the drive (or use a new one) and NOT install bootit. Just make a partition using my 98se boot disk and install IT WORKS... but as soon as I install BootIt and try creating my partition there it does not..

I have no clue why it worked before (I installed win 98se using bootit like 10 times without issue on this EXACT same hardware no prob.. now suddenly this..

Just to be clear all I do to test:
- wipe the drive
- boot the bootit bare metal floppy
- install bootit (activate more than 4 primaries)
- bootit gets a 6 or 8 mb embr partition at the bottom of the partition list.
- add a 30gig fat32 partition
- add it to the boot list with this partition and the bootit one.
- boot from this partition and boot my win 98se boot disk.
- copy over the cabs to the hdd and run setup (i tried just installing from cdrom itself. Makes no difference).

And that's it.

I dont understand the why.. i dont understand why installing without using bootit maked it work.. i dobt understand why it DID work before and suddenly decided "nope"...

I tried using different hard drives, getting same results. My drive I wish to use is a 320gig, partition for 98se is 30gig.

Anyone please end my suffering.. THANKS!
TeraByte Support

Re: Windows 98se problem

Post by TeraByte Support »

You could try enabling Align Partitions on Cylinders when creating the
boot disk, or try a smaller partition size (say 7G for the test), or a
HD that is smaller than 128G (the max supported by Win98se).

Try the install again plain, if issues, check BIOS settings. Win98Se
doesn't work well on modern hardware. Also see
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=312

On 12/26/2019 4:31 PM, Planetdune wrote:
> Anyone please end my suffering.. THANKS!
>
>