Drives show yellow bang, IFL won't see correctly

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Peabody

Drives show yellow bang, IFL won't see correctly

Post by Peabody »

This may not be a IFW problem, but I hope someone can bail me out. I have a new Thinkpad and new IFW v3.34 installation. I've made several images using the IFW thumb drive, and everything went fine, and TBIview can open those images. This morning IFL sees the C partition as a "data drive", and the image it makes is much larger, and TBIview errors out trying to view the image.

File Explorer shows C with a big yellow bang, and an unlocked padlock behind it. Disk Management shows it as BitLocker encrypted, but BitLocker Management in the Control Panel shows only the "Turn on BitLocker" option, with no indication that anything is suspended.

I've never turned on BitLocker on anything on the computer. I'm signed in with a local account, and don't have a Microsoft account. The computer runs fine in all other respects. How do I get out of this?

Edit: Forgot to say the drive is an SSD with something called OPAL. But I have no drive or other passwords enabled - only my Windows User password.
TeraByte Support

Re: Drives show yellow bang, IFL won't see correctly

Post by TeraByte Support »

IFL? or you meant IFW?

Anyway, sounds like it's encrypted and needs to be unlocked? Are you
booted to it? If so, then should already be unlocked.

OPAL is built-in drive encryption and has to be unlocked, once unlocked
it's transparent, but you wouldn't be able to boot to Windows unless
things unlocked.

On 12/17/2019 7:26 AM, Peabody wrote:
> This may not be a IFW problem, but I hope someone can bail me out. I have a new Thinkpad and new IFW v3.34 installation. I've made several images using the IFW thumb drive, and everything went fine, and TBIview can open those images. This morning IFL sees the C partition as a "data drive", and the image it makes is much larger, and TBIview errors out trying to view the image.
>
> File Explorer shows C with a big yellow bang, and an unlocked padlock behind it. Disk Management shows it as BitLocker encrypted, but BitLocker Management in the Control Panel shows only the "Turn on BitLocker" option, with no indication that anything is suspended.
>
> I've never turned on BitLocker on anything on the computer. I'm signed in with a local account, and don't have a Microsoft account. The computer runs fine in all other respects. How do I get out of this?
>
> Edit: Forgot to say the drive is an SSD with something called OPAL. But I have no drive or other passwords enabled - only my Windows User password.
>
>

Peabody

Post by Peabody »

I've been using the IFL thumb drive to both make and restore images.

On further reading, it appears that Lenovo has enabled *automatic* Bitlocker encryption on my computer. After waiting a few days for me to do it manually, it just does it automatically. At this point, the partition has been encrypted, which is why IFL doesn't recognize it, but Bitlocker is using a "clear" password, which is why I don't need to enter a password to unlock it, and is waiting for me to complete the activation process and supply a real password. So I guess I will do that. Then I hope it will let me remove Bitlocker encryption so IFL will see it properly again. I've found a registry entry that may disable automatic re-encryption.

I don't think Opal has anything to do with this because TBIView can open the other little partitions in the image and let me explore them. If Opal was enabled, those would be encrypted too. So it's just Bitlocker.

Anyway, it's not a IFW problem. Sorry to have bothered you.

TeraByte Support wrote:

> IFL? or you meant IFW?
>
> Anyway, sounds like it's encrypted and needs to be unlocked? Are you
> booted to it? If so, then should already be unlocked.
>
> OPAL is built-in drive encryption and has to be unlocked, once unlocked
> it's transparent, but you wouldn't be able to boot to Windows unless
> things unlocked.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

FYI: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=616

On 12/17/2019 9:39 AM, Peabody wrote:
> I've been using the IFL thumb drive to both make and restore images.
>
> On further reading, it appears that Lenovo has enabled *automatic* Bitlocker encryption on my computer. After waiting a few days for me to do it manually, it just does it automatically. At this point, the partition has been encrypted, which is why IFL doesn't recognize it, but Bitlocker is using a "clear" password, which is why I don't need to enter a password to unlock it, and is waiting for me to complete the activation process and supply a real password. So I guess I will do that. Then I hope it will let me remove Bitlocker encryption so IFL will see it properly again. I've found a registry entry that may disable automatic re-encryption.