New Install of IFW not seeing network drives

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Longboard

New Install of IFW not seeing network drives

Post by Longboard »

Sorry, I've probably stuffed up somewhere..want to use IFW for backups of whole drive to network.
Win7 Pro on Lenovo desktop
The Network drive is a Synology raid NAS

New install of the "bundle': followed directions as I could see, Simple Options,
Created TBWinRE:networkdrives included: booted: launched IFW: No network drives visible.
Mapped the network drive in the RE: visible in TOOLS: Drive Letter assignments: still not visible in IFW.

Back to desktop IFW: no network drives visible.
Found the Reg hack re 'EnableLinkedConnections', Now Network drives visible from IFW desktop launcher
Back to RE: remapped: network drives not visible in IFW.
What have I screwed up?

ALSO: Lenovo Win7 systems have a 'secret' partition without a drive letter : SYSTEM_DRV, which is not showing up in the TBWinRE IFW Backup option window.
Drive 0 is showing 'C' and 'Q'
According to Lenovo, the sys_drv holds the boot files.
It's not easy to tell if drive 0 includes the volume of the sys_drv, and if/when I do back up whole drive will that partition be backed up/restored ?

I dont really care about the Lenovo recovery partition, but if it's there OK, keep it.

Also, IFW from the desktop sees the Sys_drv partition as a separate object.

Thankyou.
Attachments
Disc Mgt
Disc Mgt
Disc1.jpg (25.22 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
Last edited by Longboard on Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support

Re: New Install of IFW not seeing network drives

Post by TeraByte Support »

Simple operations UI will only entire drives for source and drive
letters for target.

The letters next to the drive are the ones for that drive, it's to help
identify it, all partitions on the drive are backed up.

If you want network target, show command, save it, then change /f: to
the network share location.

Or enable traditional mode and you can choose target and name.

On 12/12/2019 5:40 AM, Longboard wrote:
> Sorry, I've probably stuffed up somewhere..want to use IFW for backups of whole drive to network.
> Win7 Pro on Lenovo desktop
> The Network drive is a Synology raid NAS
>
> New install of the "bundle': followed directions as I could see, Simple Options,
> Created TBWinRE:networkdrives included: booted: launched IFW: No network drives visible.
> Mapped the network drive in the RE: visible in TOOLS: Drive Letter assignments: still not visible in IFW.
>
> Back to desktop IFW: no network drives visible.
> Found the Reg hack re 'EnableLinkedConnections', Now Network drives visible from IFW desktop launcher
> Back to RE: remapped: network drives not visible in IFW.
> What have I screwed up?
>
> ALSO: Lenovo Win7 systems have a 'secret' partition without a drive letter : SYSTEM_DRV, which is not showing up in the TBWinRE IFW Backup option window.
> Drive 0 is showing 'C' and 'Q'
> According to Lenovo, the sys_drv holds the boot files.
> It's not easy to tell if drive 0 includes the volume of the sys_drv, and if/when I do back up whole drive will that partition be backed up/restored ?
>
> I dont really care about the Lenovo recovery partition, but if it's there OK, keep it.
>
> Also, IFW from the desktop sees the Sys_drv partition as a separate object.
>
> Thankyou.
>
>

Longboard

Post by Longboard »

"Simple operations UI will only entire drives for source and drive
letters for target.
The letters next to the drive are the ones for that drive, it's to help
identify it, all partitions on the drive are backed up. "

OK .. great

In Traditional mode GUI:
The sys-Drv shows up in traditional mode :)
One of two Network drives is available in traditional mode under 'Entire Network' : <<enter UNC here>> all good
How do I get to the other network drive?

Both network drives are mapped to drive letters in Win 7: can I access the drive letters ??

in traditional mode, another drive has shown up in Windows Drives> X: (Boot) : what is that ?

The RE labels the volumes differently, after recovery, do the volumes need to be relabelled?

IS there a way to have older images automatically deleted on completion of a new full back up?

I apologise for the newbie factor.
This is a steeper learning curve than the BiNG/IFW. :oops:
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Longboard wrote:

> in traditional mode, another drive has shown up in Windows Drives> X: (Boot) :
> what is that ?
>

It seems you are using IFW in TBWinRE. Using IFW in Windows is easier.
Longboard

Post by Longboard »

Yes

Testing/templating the tools and myself for imaging and destinations and recovery
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

You can browse and use that screen, but I really never do, I always go
to "Windows Drives" and then from there you can type in any UNC you want
or click windows browse to bring up the typical explorer window to find it.

X: is your WinRE/PE Drive

See /purge option.

On 12/12/2019 5:59 PM, Longboard wrote:
> "Simple operations UI will only entire drives for source and drive
> letters for target.
> The letters next to the drive are the ones for that drive, it's to help
> identify it, all partitions on the drive are backed up. "
>
> OK .. great
>
> In Traditional mode GUI:
> The sys-Drv shows up in traditional mode
>
> ![:)]({SMILIES_PATH}/icon_e_smile.gif)
>
> One of two Network drives is available in traditional mode under 'Entire Network' : > all good
> How do I get to the other network drive?
>
> Both network drives are mapped to drive letters in Win 7: can I access the drive letters ??
>
> in traditional mode, another drive has shown up in Windows Drives> X: (Boot) : what is that ?
>
> The RE labels the volumes differently, after recovery, do the volumes need to be relabelled?
>
> IS there a way to have older images automatically deleted on completion of a new full back up?
>
> I apologise for the newbie factor.
> This is a steeper learning curve than the BiNG/IFW.
>
> ![:oops:]({SMILIES_PATH}/icon_redface.gif)
>
>
>

Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Longboard wrote:
> Yes
>
> Testing/templating the tools and myself for imaging and destinations and
> recovery

You don't explicitly say why you are using IFW in TBWinRE instead of in Windows, so I'll guess and say what I seem to say once every few months for whatever it's worth.

For a long time, I used IFD for backup and restore because I wasn't comfortable with the idea of using the running windows to back up itself.

Several years ago, I finally held my breath and switched to using IFW running on the system I'm backing up (using Phylock). I've restored backups thus created many times and have never encountered any problem that I could in any think was the result of backing up the running system. I guess that doesn't prove it could never happen, but it hasn't yet.

I do make a TBWinRE boot UFD with every new release of the backup and restore suite, but I hardly know why. I always use IFL to restore what would otherwise be the active Windows partition.

For completeness, I should probably say that I have no network drives.
Longboard

Post by Longboard »

Thankyou
I too have used IFW on and off for years (2006) without any issues: the whole Terabyte bundle is without a doubt a truly great set of tools with great support.
Even so: I am still on "L" plates here
THE BIBM is a step up and out.
V Happy using IFW from Windows for image .... just fine tuning restore routines.
I want to put images on external/network drives and recover as/if required
One has not truly tasted the true breadth of computer joy until that HD goes splat. :!:
I'm in the process of upgrading my winboxes to W10 and need a good rescue plan for the inevitable crap shoot with MS
My rescue routine is prolly a bit clumsy compared to many
The plan was to boot the TBWinRE with IFW as required for restores: as I find the GUI easier than IFL
Testing with IFL as well: went OK
So...
Just testing
Have lots of ext HDD too
Just want to run the current update process with the reassurance of Terabyte tools as backup.

Bob Coleman wrote:
> You don't explicitly say why you are using IFW in TBWinRE instead of in Windows,
> so I'll guess and say what I seem to say once every few months for whatever it's
> worth.
>
> For a long time, I used IFD for backup and restore because I wasn't comfortable with
> the idea of using the running windows to back up itself.
>
> Several years ago, I finally held my breath and switched to using IFW running on
> the system I'm backing up (using Phylock). I've restored backups thus created many
> times and have never encountered any problem that I could in any think was the result
> of backing up the running system. I guess that doesn't prove it could never happen,
> but it hasn't yet.
>
> I do make a TBWinRE boot UFD with every new release of the backup and restore suite,
> but I hardly know why. I always use IFL to restore what would otherwise be the
> active Windows partition.
>
> For completeness, I should probably say that I have no network drives.